What should I do with mint honey

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:55 am

So I am getting mint honey. I was thinking of trying to make a mojito
mead.
Any ideas
norfire0

Re: What should I do with mint honey

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:10 am

How would I make it a mojito, brown sugars?
norfire0

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:23 am

If you want to make a mojito, skip the mint honey and use mint leaves, it's how they're supposed to be made.
peas_and_corn

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:07 am

Never dealt with mint honey before so I'd be curious to how much mint was left in the flavor & aroma post-fermentation. Personally I would make 2 or 3 small batches in growlers varying the water/honey ratio to see if I could get that mint to pop. Ferment it as a sweet mead to leave some sweetness in there & serve with a slice of lime, perhaps over some muddled mint leaves. It would all depend on how those small batches turn out. I don't think you'd need to add any sugar if you can dial in the FG.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah, like above, I'd be surprised if there's even too much mint qualities left in the honey itself. Each honey varietal doesn't always taste like its flower/ fruit counterpart. Like cranberry honey is just a bit more acidic, but doesn't really strike any cranberry notes.

I'd just go with steeping some mint in secondary, maybe with some lemon zest.
HiveMindMead

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Up date...
Not much mint flavor.
I added raspberries and chocolate mint tea in secondary.
I found a crack in my primary glass carboy. It had mold growing on a towel that the Carboy was sitting on around the crack. I am hoping I don't throw it out. I had yeast sitting on top post fermentation like ale yeast. I used 71B1122. I am secondary fermenting hoping it will turn out. Any one have any ideas about mold and mead?
norfire0

Return to Mead & Cider