Participant ribbon

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Am I the first person ever to receive a "PARTICIPANT" ribbon?!?! I just got back score sheets from a competition I entered a beer in and didn't do very well. Enclosed was a green ribbon stating simply "PARTICIPANT". My score sheets were pretty harsh and I'm pretty sure the ribbon wasn't intended to be insulting, but I take it as such. I am a grown up, not a small child that did poorly on field day or a team sport. I didn't score well and I will take the comments to heart and brew again. If you run/organize competitions please don't send out such ribbons. I would have much preferred a sticker or something like that with the competition logo that signifies my participation in it's place. Any thoughts??
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Participant ribbon

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:03 am

I agree, participation awards are dumb. Now, if people gave out shame awards for terrible beers, that would be funny. Unfortunately, I imagine it would actually end up with people intentionally sending in the worst thing they could conjure up to get the "Worst in Show" metal.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:01 am

A lot of the Fairs give participant ribbons for all entrants. That's traditionally how they are done. Doesn't make them right, though.
I agree that they can only send the wrong message.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:55 am

+1. Used to get them all the time at the State Fair in NY.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Beer Events