Another IPA (Ranger IPA)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:19 pm

If you've been following, I've been on an IPA run the past couple weeks with Mike's Brew Review. The two previous seemed a little sweet for my drinkability tastes, so I've been searching for something a little more dry and bitter. I think I found an example in the Ranger IPA from New Belgium Brewery.

You can check out the full review and video on the blog, or just read below for my tasting notes. I'd love to hear your take on it.

Review of New Belgium Ranger IPA

Packaging

This is probably one of my favorite bottle designs in fact. It is simple, two colored and bold. I’m a sucker for brown and green as well, so this really drew my attention. I also like the fact that it is from New Belgium brewery. I think they make a few good beers and have the 1554, which I really like. The package tells me its 6.5% ABV and has a nice little saying on it…”Are you a hoppinsta? Thank our beer Rangers for inspiring (and begging for) this well-balanced Simcoe, Cascade and Chinook hopped IPA. 70 BU’s.

I appreciate a little info on the bottle.

Appearance

A light copper color with an off white fluffly head, this beer definitely looks appetizing. The head continues to hold the sides while you drink the beer, some nice lacing.

Smell

Having brewed with Cascade hops a few times now, I can really taste and smell the hops. One of the reasons I wanted to brew beer was so I could learn more about all the ingredients that go into beer. It is cool really being able to recognize strains of hops. Knowledge in beer +1!

Taste

This being an American IPA I was expecting something more sweet like the Surley and Bells Two Hearted. This one is a bit more dry, and I like that. I also like whiskey/water kind of guy, so I feel a more dry IPA is my flavor. However, it does leave a longer bitter aftertaste that I think could get old. However, by that time it may not matter.

Mouthfeel

Medium bodied, this beer fizzies my tongue more than the Bell’s did. If you saw that video, I remarked that the first drink gave that to me, but not so much after wards. The New Belgium Ranger IPA definitely has a little sting to it every time I take a drink.

Drinkability

I could definitely start a night off with this. I’m not sure if the longer bitter after taste is cool with me yet. I’d have to try and make a night of it to give a 100% answer. For as good as its worth though, I will for sure give it a try with this one.

Overall

I think this is a pretty good beer. I do like it and I think I’ve finally found an American IPA that I could be a session beer for me. I’ll have to give it a try. I’ll update once I make that attempt. Could be this weekend!!! I recommend giving the New Belgium Ranger IPA a try if you like hops and like a little more dry flavored IPA.
mikebiewer

Re: Another IPA (Ranger IPA)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 am

mikebiewer wrote:
Smell

Having brewed with Cascade hops a few times now, I can really taste and smell the hops. One of the reasons I wanted to brew beer was so I could learn more about all the ingredients that go into beer. It is cool really being able to recognize strains of hops. Knowledge in beer +1!

idunno man, I kind of found the smell and taste to be dominated by chinook ( which I totally dig) have you ever used that hop before? it's pretty one of a kind
mediumsk

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:35 pm

I think I may have used it once. I do really smell cascade though. But really...its hard to tell sometimes, don't you think? Some of these hops are so delicious smelling I can't determine which is which. So Chinook could very well be the big one here, but I'm reminded of Cascade...

Thanks for your response!
mikebiewer

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 am

I tried this last night, and the hops had a distinct catty character to me that I didn't particularly care for. Pretty good overall though.
siwelwerd

Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 am

siwelwerd wrote:I tried this last night, and the hops had a distinct catty character to me that I didn't particularly care for. Pretty good overall though.

Catty? Could you expand on that? I'm curious as to whatcha mean!
mikebiewer

Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 am

Some people describe it as cat-piss, I associate it with Simcoe usually. I like to use 'catty' instead as it has a less negative connotation. It's something of a sour/citrusy combination. Many people enjoy it, I just don't care for it if it's particularly pronounced.

Their website says they use Cascade, Chinook, and Simcoe in it, so that would explain it. Also says they dry-hop with Cascade, so freshness could play a big impact on it; you probably had a fresher bottle if you got a huge Cascade nose (which would help hide some of the cattiness).
siwelwerd

Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

siwelwerd wrote:Some people describe it as cat-piss, I associate it with Simcoe usually. I like to use 'catty' instead as it has a less negative connotation. It's something of a sour/citrusy combination. Many people enjoy it, I just don't care for it if it's particularly pronounced.

Their website says they use Cascade, Chinook, and Simcoe in it, so that would explain it. Also says they dry-hop with Cascade, so freshness could play a big impact on it; you probably had a fresher bottle if you got a huge Cascade nose (which would help hide some of the cattiness).

Right on!

Thanks for the explanation. It definitely didn't smell like cat piss. However, I live with two cats and I clean their litter box, so I could just be used to the smell. Who the hell knows in that case right?

I really enjoyed it though. That could also explain why I have cats...??? LOL
mikebiewer

Return to Beer Reviews