Alesmith IPA infected?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 am

So last night I grab a bottle of Alesmith IPA, that I had to drive to Massachusetts to get, popped it open and poured a glass of foam. After seeing that the foam wasn't going to settle, I dumped it, and slowly tried to pour another glass and the sucker foamed up again. The beer that I did see looked like ginger ale with all the carbonation in it. I tried to taste it and it didn't seem funky.

So would this be infection or overcarbonation? I have never seen a commercial beer act like this and was wondering if anyone else has, either from Alesmith or some other brewery.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Re: Alesmith IPA infected?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

TheDarkSide wrote:So last night I grab a bottle of Alesmith IPA, that I had to drive to Massachusetts to get, popped it open and poured a glass of foam. After seeing that the foam wasn't going to settle, I dumped it, and slowly tried to pour another glass and the sucker foamed up again. The beer that I did see looked like ginger ale with all the carbonation in it. I tried to taste it and it didn't seem funky.

So would this be infection or overcarbonation? I have never seen a commercial beer act like this and was wondering if anyone else has, either from Alesmith or some other brewery.

I had a couple of Single Wide IPA's do this on me - they're bottle conditioned, so I assumed they'd maybe been mistreated since they were relatively fresh.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 pm

I just had a conversation about this a few days ago.
We were talking beer and got to Alesmith... he immediately said something about the beer being awful
and that it seemed infected. Wish I knew if it was a bad batch or something they are doing differently.
Division: West Coast Battalion
Army Base: Fresno, CA
Motto: “Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.”
InsaneInTheGrain

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 am

It's a rare occurrence, but infected commercial bottles do happen now and then. Over the years I think I have had only 2 or 3. One was a Stone IPA and the other was from Avery. All other bottles I've had of the same beers were great.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 am

I haven't had this issue buying Alesmith on the east coast, but must admit I haven't had one in a long time. At $9 bucks for 22/oz bomber...that's just way too much for me. Cheap maybe, but my homebrewed IPA's are as good, IMO, and generally $6/bottle is my threshold for standard - non Belgian beers.
I
breyton

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 am

breyton wrote:I haven't had this issue buying Alesmith on the east coast, but must admit I haven't had one in a long time. At $9 bucks for 22/oz bomber...that's just way too much for me. Cheap maybe, but my homebrewed IPA's are as good, IMO, and generally $6/bottle is my threshold for standard - non Belgian beers.

Agreed on pricing, but I made the trip to Julio's and treated myself...or so I thought.

I bet Budweiser is never infected, but then again how would we know? :D
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to Beer Reviews