Fermentation chamber freezer

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Before buying a freezer for a fermentation chamber I tried searching various forums for one that would fit my needs. Unfortunately all the ones I found on post are no longer made, or not sold locally. So, If anyone is looking, the Frigidaire from Lowe's should easily fit four carboys (with modification) or a decent sized conical.

Model #: LFUH17F2NW

Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Fermentation chamber freezer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 am

Cool. Do you fit the other 2 carboys offset from the two in the picture? Doesn't look like the door would close but it's hard to tell. I have a small chest freezer (only 1 carboy). I wish I had gone with a bigger chest freezer (like 14.8 cu ft) so I could fit several carboys. At least you don't have to lift the carboys in and out too much.

Looks like there's a lot of wasted space above the carboys. Anyway a sturdy shelf could be installed to add more capacity?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Re: Fermentation chamber freezer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

A chest freezer is defiantly a cheaper and probably more efficient way to go. But, I dont like bending over to lift carboys out. With this set up can fit 5 carboys, I just finished making a shelf that I can put two more on. It's a tight fit; there is only about 1/2" bove the air locks after adding the shelf. Another nice thing about this freezer was all the wires already ran through the insulation for the light, thermostat, and defrost sensor. I was able to repurpose these wires for an RTD, and Heater.
Bad Goat Brewing

Return to Brewing Equipment