Motorizing a monster mill

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Does anyone have any experience with ironhorse motors? They seem to be the best price for their specs I could find.

Description:

IronHorse AC induction motor, general purpose, 1 hp, 1-phase, 115/208-230V, 1800 RPM, TEFC, 56C frame, rolled steel, Class F insulation, NEMA design B, electrically reversible, capacitor start, removable bolt-on base.

$123 and free shipping.

Thanks.

Re: Motorizing a monster mill

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 pm

No, but 1800 RPM seems a bit fast. Are you planning to reduce it to, say, 120-150 RPM?
code
codewritinfool

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes. 1" sheave on the motor and 8" sheave on the mill for 225 rpm. Monster mills say between 150 and 250 rpm on their site.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

The best thing I've seen for mill motorisation is a worm drive motor. No need for pulley wheels, belts etc that take up space and can be finger traps.

There's a great thread here (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44766-mill-motors/ - I put a space at the beginning cause this forum won't let me put links in) but basically a home brewer called this shop asking about motors, the retailer didn't get a phone number, so went on the Aussie forum asking lots of questions about torque requirements, speed, coupling etc. he sourced a fit-for-purpose motor, and packaged it up. He's struggled to meet demand ever since.

I'm surprised MoreBeer or Northern Brewer haven't done the same thing yet.

While I don't think it would be worth ordering from Aust, contact a motor place nearby and see if the can get something like this ... By all reports it will work a treat.

This next link (again, with spaces so it will post) shows the unit they've put together.

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/home-b ... oller.html

[moderator edit: links are ok here. Look at the top of the edit box and there's a URL button for you to embed urls. -BDawg]
Kodos

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Newbie wrote:Does anyone have any experience with ironhorse motors? They seem to be the best price for their specs I could find.

Description:

IronHorse AC induction motor, general purpose, 1 hp, 1-phase, 115/208-230V, 1800 RPM, TEFC, 56C frame, rolled steel, Class F insulation, NEMA design B, electrically reversible, capacitor start, removable bolt-on base.

$123 and free shipping.

Thanks.

I have experiance with them, and automation direct. I've used them to replace some ventilation fan motors in the past. They are not as nice as baldor or lesson motors, but you're not going find a better motor new for that price. China is making better stuff than they used too.
Last edited by Bad Goat Brewing on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:35 pm

BD wrote:[moderator edit: links are ok here. Look at the top of the edit box and there's a URL button for you to embed urls. -BDawg]

Oooo, fancy. :asshat:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:44 am

BDawg wrote:[moderator edit: links are ok here. Look at the top of the edit box and there's a URL button for you to embed urls. -BDawg]

Cheers, I'd tried posting links a while back but the system filtered out my post. Will try again next time!
Kodos

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 am

I have only brewed 3 beers after purchasing my Monster Mill, but I have found an 12 year old corded drill does a fantastic job of spinning the roller.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment