Temp loss in a Mash Tun

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Ive been brewing extract for about 10 years with some sucess. Silver in a local comp. (toot) I'm collecting pieces to move to all grain. I just picked up an Igloo 5gal cooler for a mash tun and was wondering what the best way is to figure out the strike water temp, mash temp, heat loss, thermal mass of the grain etc. without actually wasting money on grain to find all that out. Will filling up the cooler with heated water as per beer smith get me close to what to expect without the grain, or should I bite the bullet, buy grain, and see what happens?
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Re: Temp loss in a Mash Tun

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

If you're planning to batch sparge, which I recommend, Go to Brewheads.com and look at their batch sparge calculator. It's pretty spot on for me. I always pre-heat my cooler mash-tun so I can enter 0 for thermal loss and am always within a degree high or low. It calculates strike volume and temp, a mash out, and sparge volume for you.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks, good site with lots of good info and calculators. I guess the only way to find out, is to just do it. I hate wasting money though
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:00 pm

It isnt a waste of money. It is valuable experience and research.
Its the only way to learn your system and process.
Nothing to it really. Once you begin to trust what you read, hear, and do, its a breeze.
Do a stout or something else small.
Probably cost you 12 big bucks.
snowcapt

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 am

I like to use a simple blonde recipe to dial things in. All 2-row, no specialty grains. 1.038-1.044 OG, 12-18 IBU's. It'll make that $12 stout look pricey :wink:

Whatever you choose as your first batch, don't think of it as wasting money - your first batch will very likely be drinkable & enjoyable even if you miss every number on your recipe. I'm assuming you dialed in your cleaning/sanitization/fermentation with your extract batches. The best thing I could recommend is brewing the same recipe a few times in a row until you're reasonably comfortable hitting within a point or 2 of your numbers.

Congrats on making the AG step. 3 batches from now, you'll be laughing at yourself for worrying about it. It's easy.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 am

Hitting your temperature spot on plays a relatively minor role in the long run, compared to the other aspects of your process you've already mastered. In other words, if you are already making good beer, getting your mash anywhere between 140-160, you'll still make something you can drink. Shoot for a number, but don't stress to the point that you actually DO end up fucking your batch up trying to correct if you don't make it. To pay attention to what you did and when, and take notes so that you have an idea how your system treats you, and after a couple goes, you'll know what temp and volume you need to strike with to get yourself to the desired mash temp. :jnj
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:27 am

fluffhead wrote:Ive been brewing extract for about 10 years with some sucess. Silver in a local comp. (toot) I'm collecting pieces to move to all grain. I just picked up an Igloo 5gal cooler for a mash tun and was wondering what the best way is to figure out the strike water temp, mash temp, heat loss, thermal mass of the grain etc. without actually wasting money on grain to find all that out. Will filling up the cooler with heated water as per beer smith get me close to what to expect without the grain, or should I bite the bullet, buy grain, and see what happens?

Yes, the first time it will get you close, if you have set up your equipment first. So bite the bullet and buy the grains. Something simple so you can learn your process. THEN you can start fiddling around with the recipe.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Good question. We all go through this when making the transition to AG. This is one of the reasons I use a RIMS system. Self correcting, repeatable temperature control. Do miss the old days of less worrying about stuck sparges though. :)
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment