My 6-Tap Kegerator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm

So over in my introductory thread I had some pictures of myself in front of my kegerator and mentioned I had some progression photos. I think a couple of you were interested so here's a thread of my progression photos of said kegerator.

First we have the chest freezer with the top off. I realized I never took a photo of the whole chest freezer with it's top still on. $50 bucks on craigslist...sweet!

Closer look of them empty inside

Now, I know this is a bad progression jump from the previous photos but I had forgotten to takes more pictures of us constructing the collar. Once we started we didn't stop 'til we finished it.

After that we stained and drilled the wood for our taps, then brought it upstairs to our dining area.

A quick fit test to ensure 6 kegs and some CO2 tanks would fit.

After that we applied the rustoleum chalkboard paint to the rest of the kegerator. Notice our old kegerator to the right... it was a "quick fix"

Something is off though...

Thats better.

Here's the artwork. I had to black bar the top because I posted the pictures also on facebook and I didn't want my grandmother getting upset that I named my home brew company "The Shitty Possum Brewing Co." :roll:

A look of the inside. Actually It's progressed on the inside even more. I've since added a 4-way splitter for serving pressures.

Any feed back is welcome. I wish it was better so I can handle criticism. Thanks for taking the time to look at all this. Any feed back is welcomed!

Cheers!! :jnj

Archie
"We came here to drink some beer. Now are you going to let us do that or are you afraid of getting your asses stomped?" -Landfill
Archie

Re: My 6-Tap Kegerator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:02 pm

get that wood insulated. Your compressor and wallet will thank you.
Looks awesome, though. Nice job!
snowcapt

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 am

My collar is similar & uninsulated. It holds temp way better than the freezer lid. I don't know if insulation would do that much more. I know it wouldn't help on mine.

Nice build. I like the full coat of chalkboard paint & the endless possibilities. Let us know when the artwork is up for Pacheco Sneaker & The Grieving Schumann. :D
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 am

+1 on the chalkboard paint. Is it washable with a wet sponge or towel?
The only problem I see is with the wide spacing of the faucets. It requires a long drip tray.
I did the same thing on my last kegerator and wound up putting a wallpaper pan on the floor.
Nice job! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 am

Lookin tuff man! I dig the chalkboard paint. One day when I have space for a kegerator... :evil:
Always Thirsty
In the Fermentor: C'est Son La Vie
Bottle Conditioning: Wonder Child Hard Cider #2
On Deck: West Coast IPA & California Common
Infusing: Redwood Manor Limoncello, Black Fig Vodka & Black Fig Bourbon
Dr. Bubra

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 am

captain carrot wrote:The only problem I see is with the wide spacing of the faucets. It requires a long drip tray.
I did the same thing on my last kegerator and wound up putting a wallpaper pan on the floor.
Nice job! :jnj

Agreed. Mine is 7 taps & with a 3" spacing (center to center) I still need a 2' drip tray. It's about as close together as I'd want them - someone with large hands could have a problem bumping the next one over & it's slightly limiting if you use larger tap handles with the objects on them (like the football or the horse or whatever).

My latest discovery was to use a couple magnetic clips & a 9x5 bread pan stuck right to the freezer. I've only got 3 taps installed at the moment & it works perfectly. With a wide spacing you could do small individual cups. Soup cans painted to match would be kind of fun.

Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Nice, yea a drip tray was only an after thought. We have plans to get/make one but right now we have other projects in the works. Like a portable beer chiller and more custom made tap handles. I'll try to make an effort tomorrow to take pictures of our current attempts.
"We came here to drink some beer. Now are you going to let us do that or are you afraid of getting your asses stomped?" -Landfill
Archie

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 am

What size freezer is that? Mine is 7.2 cu ft, and I can get 4 on the floor with no a lot of room to spare. I also built my collar high enough to get two more on the hump.

I spaced my taps evenly along the collar like yours. Right now my drip tray is an orange home depot bucket that I move under the tap I just used. I need to get some tap locks. Not because I'm afraid my 10 year old son is going to drink my beer, but I keep bumping the taps and opening them when I adding and removing a keg.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment