Re: Build Pics!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:32 am

I see what JonesZ is saying and I tend to agree.

While the base is great I am worried about those legs. I think they are too light. Once a pot or keg is on top of it a lot of the heat will be directed to the legs. Once they heat up they will lose a lot of strength. They will warp and possibly buckle. After several uses the oxidation from all the heating will weaken the steel further causing it to be brittle as well. The bolts holding the top in place will expand, loosen and fall to the lowest part of the slots they are in when there is weight on them. That would be nasty even though it is only a 1/2 inch drop.

You need more mass in the legs and a truss in 2 directions to keep it stable. Replace the light bolt together angle steel with something substantial and solid. Weld light trusses between them to keep things from twisting and warping. Lose the bolts where it will be getting hot.

An easy and cheap job at your local welding shop if you precut the supplied steel. Good luck.
Well that keg disappeared fast!

On Tap at the Firkin Pub: Hazelnut Brown Ale, Firkin Stout, Gatorale, Ginger and Green Tea Metheglin, Firkin Pils, Firkin Bitter
In the Firkin Fermenters: Cassis Mead, Dunkelweizen
Up Next: Planning for next season.
manwithbeers

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures