Automatic burners with ELECTRONIC IGNITION!!! Video

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello everyone, I wanted to control the burners on my new system with a PID controller. I didn't like the thought of a pilot light (I'm lazy) but mostly because of the cost of the heater valves. So I made a circuit that will turn on an electronic igniter for an adjustable amount of time when the PID turns on an Solenoid gas valve!

The middle PID was only set at 100f for the test, Check it out on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3wctpz4hAo&context=C3c482f4ADOEgsToPDskI2bLA_t-blw4m63SeYOAny
BeerBellyJoe

Re: Automatic burners with ELECTRONIC IGNITION!!! Video

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:45 am

Bad ass dude! Good job! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 am

Sweet! Nice work.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 am

I don't mean to piss on your parade - but I would seriously consider adding a flame sensor and some logic that would cut the burner solenoid if flame wasn't sensed in a reasonable amount of time. If your piezo fails, you don't want that burner opened full bore for very long - I would say 3-4 seconds tops. The intermittent pilot on the Honeywell can have it's "trial" period much longer - because it is just a pilot jet that is on initially - not the main. I don't want to see a brotha get hurt....

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 am

Awesome job! Id be interested in to more details, as i am working on this myself, what igniter did you use?
jyoung383

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Awesome job! Id be interested in to more details, as i am working on this myself, what igniter did you use?

Thanks man, I used the standard BBQ one that you can get at the home improvement stores. Its super solid and I have never have trouble with these going out before (plus I'm always next to my station while brewing). I built a circuit around the LM555 timer IC.
BeerBellyJoe

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll have to pick one up and look at it. I thought they worked off a physical push and not electrical impulse.
jyoung383

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:22 am

I have been having a problem with my timer not timing out, the output stays high on occasion. I believe it might have something to do with the high voltage ignitor creating noise or something. Did you run into this at all.
jyoung383

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures