A question about protecting my wood

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 am

Building a two tier woody....giggady.

I built it a little too small around the burner and keggle area. With it all in place there is a 2" space between the side of the frame and the edge of the keggle skirt. the keg sits about 3/4" above the level of the frame.

I did a water boil and the wood became way too hot way too quickly so I added some metal sheeting. I'm not sure what gauge or thickness it is...maybe 1/32". Whatever it is, it is what semi trailer walls are made from...not exactly flimsy but not really stout either.

So I nailed it to the frame and retried a boil. Within 15 minutes the metal was too hot to touch. I did not continue.

My question is whether or not it will protect the wood or should I lift my burner a bit to allow a little more room. I would rather not have to do any major modification.

:roll: :oops:
I blame Snookie. Only because she should be blamed for everything.
PastNastification

Re: A question about protecting my wood

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 am

For it to protect the wood, there needs to be an air gap between the metal and wood. Say about an 1".
Quin

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Feel free to post a picture or two of what you're working with, but yes if there is direct contact between your shield and your wood, it will heat up.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I kinda figured there would need to be an air gap. I miscalculated and ended up building kinda small so the most I could really swing would be a half inch all around. It would be a lot of work to remove the metals as it is...I was a bit overzealous with the hammer. :oops:

I just used a couple pieces of wood to lift the burner an inch and a half. Tried out another boil and it seemed fine.
Brewed a beer this weekend and nothing burst into flames so I'm going to incorporate the change into the stand.

In regards to posting a pic, I need to to link to a pic at an off site host? Like flickr or something like that?.
I blame Snookie. Only because she should be blamed for everything.
PastNastification

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah, once you upload it somewhere, you likely will be able to right click and copy image url.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Sculptures