1bbl Elec. System help

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:51 am

I am looking into doing a 1bbl fully elect. system. I am needing help in finding info on how to go about this. I saw a thread on some other forum, but they were vague and kinda shitty about the build. I would like PID, set and forget, as time is a factor for me now.
Not sure if I could do HERMS/RIMS or what.
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Re: 1bbl Elec. System help

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 am

For 30+ gallons electric you're going to need 240V. PID controlled HERMS is a great idea. However, for the boil I'm not sure you can really use a PID if you want to control how vigorous the boil is, as the temperature is going to be the same at a low simmer as well as a rolling boil. I posted on a thread around here in the past month on setting up a power controller for the BK. Others probably have better info on this and certainly on the rest of the system as I am still in progress.

I bought PIDs and temperature sensors from Auber Instruments.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am

Could yo do a Batch Sparge in a 55gal Boilermaker? If so how would you hold temps?
derfburg

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am

Insulate it with that foil bubble wrap from your local big box retailer and HERMS as necessary.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
foomench

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:40 am

As far as the temp control could you not just use a couple of rancos and be done with it? Doing some searches and most use the Love controls or the like.
derfburg

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 am

I have in the past found it very easy to overshoot on step mashes with manual control. I've gotten better now. A PID would work better than a Ranco for avoiding overshoot.
foomench

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:44 am

After reading more, I think you are right. The Love's are just more sensitive, like JP.
derfburg

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm

derfburg wrote:As far as the temp control could you not just use a couple of rancos and be done with it? Doing some searches and most use the Love controls or the like.

For the price of two loves or rancos, you can have a BrewTroller. I did, and I couldn't be happier.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures