Re: 1bbl Elec. System help

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 am

That thing looks great, but looks like lots of things to work out as far as system. Is this what you use Mylo? Do you have a dumbed down read on that thing?
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 pm

OK 240 volts is the way to go with this build. PID controller is a very good option or a set point controller with a DC output for your relays works well to (that is what I use). I recommend using digital relays over solid state ones because they last much longer. I have a controller on both my HLT and my Brew kettle. Having one on my brew kettle is very handy to heat strike water or infusion water. I found all of my controllers and relays on Ebay. They are all made by Watlow. Check out the link at the bottom of my post for pics of my system. I will try to answer any questions about my system or build if I can.
Grizz

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 am

For a 1 BBL system you're most certainly going to need to go 240V. I did that on mine and use a PID coupled to a SSR that drives the HLT 5500W element. The boil side is somewhat of a one-off, as it uses a rheostat knob that connects to a custom diac board that feeds into a triac that powers the 7000W spa heater. So I have knob kontrol (kinda like a dimmer knob) for the kettle. Much better than an on-off. PM me if you want graphic detail...

For convenience (and safety too) you might think about using a contactor for the 240 feed. The contactor acts as a safety gate, but also allows you to split off 110V for things like pumps and PIDs and timers. One wire in.
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
RIS
Hefe
Pumpkin Ale
English Brown
American Blonde
O'fest
APA
Alt
Schwarzbier
Dry Stout

FERMENTING:
Nugget Nectar Clone
baltobrewer

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Grizz wrote:Check out the link at the bottom of my post for pics of my system. I will try to answer any questions about my system or build if I can.

Have you ever calculated the cost for electricity for brewing a batch of beer? I am very intrigued by the all electric approach.

Thanks
tsaub79

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:53 pm

tsaub79 wrote:
Grizz wrote:Check out the link at the bottom of my post for pics of my system. I will try to answer any questions about my system or build if I can.

Have you ever calculated the cost for electricity for brewing a batch of beer? I am very intrigued by the all electric approach.

Thanks

I have. At 10 cents / kWh, 12 gallons from 57F to 168F is approximately 3.5 kWh, or $3.50. Not bad at all.
code
codewritinfool

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I calculated my costs a while back for a 12 gallon batch, all electric brewery, it was less than $2.00 from start to finish. We pay about $0.06 per kilowatt hour.
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:21 pm

I have not tracked the cost of a brew days worth of power for my system. I think that it is still has to be less than propane. The electric heating elements being submerged it water or wort gives you 100% heat transfer to the liquid. I have some heat lose from the open top and sides of my system but not enough for me to worry about. I love not having to stand next to a burner that is pumping out a ton of extra heat into my brew area. And being able to touch every thing that is near and on the HLT and brew pot is also a bonus.
Grizz

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:54 pm

I went with electric on the HLT and MT for automation and NG under the boil pot because it is easier to control.

My system is just short of 1BBL with one 240 in both pots which automatically turn on with spa timers.

More pics in the link below.....

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/ ... brewstand/
Monster Mash

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures