Re: Gotta love German engineering

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 am

Harsh. I was looking at the instructions and they contain the German legal limit on homebrewing, 200 liters per year, or about 52 gallons. Of course if enforcement is similar to here in the U.S. ...
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:34 am

thatguy314 wrote:It says the 20 liter system only holds 4-5kg of grain according to the instructions. Also hopping appears to be limited. I'd call that pretty locked in myself. Plus it's a no sparge system, which kind of suggests to me that 8-10 pounds of grain aren't going to get you very far. Being generous (70% efficiency) that maxes your batches out at 1.052 without addition of extract.

Hopping can't be limited?? You put in however many hops you want whenever you want, same as any other system.

It is natively no sparge, but I've never understood this whole no-sparge equates to low efficiency thing... I brewed maybe 100 no-sparge brews and always set my promash recipe formulation for 75% efficiency, that in a mash tun with dead space... This system has no dead space. if you got less than 75% mash efficiency out of it on normal strength brews I would be very very surprised indeed.

And you can sparge in it anyway... A brewer I know runs 5L of water through the malt pipe as a sparge and averages 80% into the kettle efficiency.

Yes, the grain capacity is limited, my understanding is that you can go up to about 5.5kg of grain and after that the pump isn't up to the job of recirculation.

At any rate, that is a limitation of the system, not being "Locked in" to doing it their way or not at all - it's no more nor less than the limitation you might have with a 20L mash tun in a normal system... You want to brew more beer or bigger beer... You buy a bigger system, a bigger mash tun, a bigger kettle, or in this case the bigger braumeister... The 50L model naturally holds twice as much grain, and there is no-one telling you you can't brew only 20L of much stronger beer instead.

And the price is pretty damn good... i can have one of these things sitting at home, shoving out 50L batches for a decent sum less than I could have any of the systems I can buy locally that have similar capacity and functionality & for way less than I could possibly get a brew magic or similarly functional B3 sculpture.
Thirsty Boy

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

I brewed on one of these things several times at MoreBeer!, and the system is great. It's programable for up to 5 mash rests! The limitation is the size of the mash tun. I think the most I got out off it was a 1.056 beer. You can add DME during the boil, but you would need to pull the wort and mix it into a bowl and add it back, because the heating element has contact with the wort.

It's a good unit, just expensive.
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Expensive depends a lot on where in the world you are.

Granted this system is more limited in the gravity of brews it can make than other systems... Sounds like you'd struggle to get better than 1065 out of it (at capacity volume anyway) even with a sparge routine added.... Without an itterated mash of course, which solves the problem completely.

But... I can put one of these things into my garage, or handily, on my kitchen bench, and be whacking out 50L brews... For at least $500 less than any other similarly functional turnkey brewery I have been able to find anywhere in the world.

And I can wander down to my LHBS and shove it in the backseat of my car... To get the next best priced one I have to go through the drama of importing it from the US.

So if high gravity brews are your gig.... Then maybe it's not for you... But for anyone who brews standard strength beers most of the time it's really a very serious option for a turnkey system.

I built my own RIMS system up over the years, but if my house burned down tomorrow and I had to replace my brewing system all in one hit. I would be fairly torn between a simple BIAB rig and one of these puppies. Pretty much nothing else is on the list from either a functionality or a price perspective.

I will probably get to play with one sometime in the next month or two... I will try a reiterated mash and see how far you can push one of these jiggers before blue smoke comes out of it :)

TB
Thirsty Boy

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:32 pm

so Thirsty Boy the guys at grain and grape are letting you play with it?

My main comment on it is that it looks so shiny. And I'm kinda suprised there isnt an integrated cooling unit built in. Seems to be the only thing they have forgotten.

Cheers DK
dags

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Yeah, John said I was even allowed to take it home and do a brew... Good guys at Grain and Grape.

Spillsmostofit & I are doing a demo at G&G on the 11th Decenber and I'll get to play then (doing a Braumeister brew alongside our BIAB brew) , but if I get a chance i'll take it home before then to learn how to use it and try the re-iterated mash thing out. Perhaps a doppelbock for consumption over next winter?
Thirsty Boy

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm

and even better John is sceduled to have the 200l in the shop in Jan some time.

So is the braumiester just BIAB with out a sewing machine? :lol:
dags

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 am

I was thinking about building something similar for 10 gallon batches - a converted keg or 16 gallon kettle with a 230V water heater element at the bottom, a ball valve, a false bottom, a counterflow chiller, a BIAB rigged with a pulley and a winch to pull it from the kettle, and a stand so the whole thing will be tall enough to drain into carboys. I think I can rig it up myself for considerably less money than the brewmaster system...

Been thinking about:

Something like this for the vessel:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/upd ... p5177.aspx

15 Gallon Stainless pot - $140 , with a steamer rack for another $4...

Something like this for the element:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BP ... B000BPG4LI

Hot Water Heating element - $19

I can have my buddy who is an electrician rig up the element and my buddy who is welder rig up a stand. The most expensive parts will probably be a good counterflow chiller and a ball valve...
Beer Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures