Re: Question about temperature in my mash tun

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:05 am

I'll definitely do a test with just water and see if I can get things to even out. Judging by the amount of wort coming out of the ball valve, my first guess is not enough was hitting the probe to give me an accurate temp. Unfortunately that was the sensor that my controls were based off of. I'll try to do a test tonight and report back the results. Thanks for the great advice.
Sgt. in the BN Army
NTabb

Re: Question about temperature in my mash tun

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:25 am

me no likey the system running off the sensor on the outlet - I think it will give you terrible control and make the system prone to horrible overshoot.

I think the best place to drive the system from would be at the point where your wort enters the mash tun - or considering that would require you to re-do some physical wiring - the exit of your Heat-ex with an understanding that there will be heat loss between there and the tun.

With the unit driving from the outlet... you are shoving in heat at the top of the tun, but the temp at the outlet wont change enough to turn off your heat till all the mash bed has changed all the way... and by the time the bottom bit has changed, the top of the mash bed is already too hot and your HLT has been pushed even higher... and that heat will go into the tun too.
Thirsty Boy

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures