Re: burners...

Sun May 02, 2010 3:37 pm

BrewerBC wrote:Any idea how These work with keggles.

What they said. I use kegles to keep my pelvic floor taught and firm...
wait, no I use keggles to brew with and those burners work fine.
BayouBrew

Sun May 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Someone is confusing keggles with kegels???
aleguy

Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 am

BrewerBC wrote:
BayouBrew wrote:I'm not sure how much work you want to put into making the change from LP to natural gas. You have to change the orifices which means buying new ones or drilling them out. It may be more cost effective to just get these LP burners and just repurpose or sell them when you switch to natural gas. At $8 each you could almost just throw them away, and they are plenty powerful.

Any idea how These work with keggles.

I use 75,000 BTU burners and they can boil 14 gallons of wort no problem
Droodles1

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Charlie wrote:I'm adapting an NG burner from a hot water heater. I'll post pics and stats when it is done.

I mounted the burner and did some testing today. My main concern is that the natural gas burner be at least as powerful as the 10" propane banjo burner I've been using.

Prior to modifying the burner stand I measured 2.0 gal of tap water, put it in a 6 gal Vollrath stainless steel pot, took a temp reading and slapped on the lid. Then I fired up the propane banjo burner at my usual boil setting and let the water heat for 10.0 minutes. At T + 10 I turned off the gas, removed the lid, and took a second temp reading.

It took about an hour to dismount the propane banjo, fabricate the supports, and mount the NG burner. Then I repeated the above experiment. Here's the numbers:

If you can decode my spreadsheet you will see that the NG burner is roughly 17% more powerful than the 10" banjo. I think I've got a winner!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures