burners...

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm

I am looking to buy burners, but right now I want a propane setup (run off a standard BBQ tank) with 3 burners. I hope to upgrade the system later to natural gas, so if I can buy one set of burners now that will work with both that would be ideal. Just fishing for ideas. thanks
cally88

Re: burners...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 am

I'm not sure how much work you want to put into making the change from LP to natural gas. You have to change the orifices which means buying new ones or drilling them out. It may be more cost effective to just get these LP burners and just repurpose or sell them when you switch to natural gas. At $8 each you could almost just throw them away, and they are plenty powerful.
BayouBrew

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 pm

thanks, that sounds like a good plan!
cally88

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:26 am

+1
I don't know why you would want to switch to natural gas at a later date, but you will have to replace your burners (except pilots) when you do in any case. The burners that Bayoubrew recommends are the same ones I use and they are plenty powerful enough to crank out a 25-gallon batch in an afternoon.
aleguy

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:18 pm

BayouBrew wrote:I'm not sure how much work you want to put into making the change from LP to natural gas. You have to change the orifices which means buying new ones or drilling them out. It may be more cost effective to just get these LP burners and just repurpose or sell them when you switch to natural gas. At $8 each you could almost just throw them away, and they are plenty powerful.

Any idea how These work with keggles.
Private First Class: BN Army

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin
BrewerBC

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 pm

BrewerBC wrote:
BayouBrew wrote:I'm not sure how much work you want to put into making the change from LP to natural gas. You have to change the orifices which means buying new ones or drilling them out. It may be more cost effective to just get these LP burners and just repurpose or sell them when you switch to natural gas. At $8 each you could almost just throw them away, and they are plenty powerful.

Any idea how These work with keggles.

At 170,000 BTU I would think they are plenty strong to power a keggle.

If you are going to use a keggle read this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6445

I use a 70,000BTU for my 15 gallon liquor tank and 35,000 BTU for my 8 gallon kettle.

I will need to step up my kettle burner for 10 gallon batches.
bcmaui

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:48 pm

They work great with a keggle! I use them and I use keggles. You just need to play with the air intake to get the most out of them. I keep mine at the minimum air intake or the burners blow themselves out when I crank them. You will need one of those tall red High-pressure regulators and needle valves, but you can really crank those suckers up. I get a full keggle up to strike temperature in 20-30 minutes depending on air temp. You may need to buy a big bucket to put your tank in and fill it with water. I regularly pull so much propane that I freeze the tank solid. Putting it in a bucket of water allows me to run two burners full on without freezing the tank.
aleguy

Sun May 02, 2010 2:55 pm

aleguy wrote:I don't know why you would want to switch to natural gas at a later date...

I know why I want to switch to natural gas: It's cheaper, I don't have to drive to fill up the tank, and it's available 24/7/365. True, it is difficult to move your rig, but I'm tired of moving my rig.

I'm adapting an NG burner from a hot water heater. I'll post pics and stats when it is done.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures