Re: Sourcing Control Panel items(panel, toggle switches, LED)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:05 pm

bcmaui wrote:
I'm curious about this.

http://www.arduino.cc/

What do you use to ignite the gas and what type of temp sensors do you use and where do you locate them?

Well... My system is very personalized. I only have two burners (HLT, Boil). I use my Jamil-O-Chiller as my HERMS coil. The only things that I need to control with the Arduino are 1) the HLT Burner, 2) Water Pump, 3) Wort Pump, 4) Hose Solenoid, 5) LED/Buzzer Alarm, and 6) Exhaust Hood (future). The boil kettle burner is a bayou classic and has an ASCO valve for on/off, and a piezo igniter - but those are manual. The HLT burner is a low pressure wok burner and it has a "intermittent pilot retrofit kit" on it (same as on fireplaces). Push button, get flame. The hose, HLT burner and alarm are 24VAC, and 2 pumps (and future hood) are 110VAC. There are 6 relays for all that.

I was originally going to use the PIDS from Auber (and the really slick RTD thermowell probes with quick disconnect). Instead I'll use the Arduino for all the logic, and I will replace the RTD sensors with the Dallas One-Wire chips. The probes get mounted in the MT and HLT, as low as I can get them, so I can do 5G and 10G batches. The thermowells are pricey, but I really like the disconnects.

If you are just getting started, I would recommend looking at the BrewTroller stuff. It's very similar (same Arduino platform). You still get the satisfaction by assembling and configuring your own deal, but they have worked out a lot of the nuts and bolts for you already. In addition to the basics, they enable all this "over the top" valve control automation - but you can choose to implement the things that you want a la carte.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks - want to start simple and just be able to control mash temp to start off and figure out a simple setup to work with my cooler, if that is even practical?

I would imagine I could add a coil to the HLT to perform the heat exchange to warm up the mash liquid.

I will be some time before I get to a fully automated setup, if ever, but I would like to be able to step mash.

Maybe a stainless mash tun is better - all I have is the 10 gallon cooler at the moment.
bcmaui

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Mylo, I must say your control panel looks incredibly over-complicated to me. All you really need are a couple of controllers and temperature sensors along with a couple of march pumps. The Auber controllers that you turned me on to are great. You just need to disable the PID function for them to run the ascos. some honeywell pilots and Bob's your uncle. I mounted my RTD temperature sensors in the SS crosses so they measure the temperature of the wort as it flows from my MLT, through the pump and back into the top. (I use crosses, from B3 wine side, because I use Swagelock purge valves to prime the March pumps.) the Auber controllers are fully capable of running Ascos without any need for relays. A few 20 amp toggles from Lowe's to turn the pumps on and off and you're set. It is a very simple control panel to build. My whole system is high-pressure propane using 110,000 BTU rose burners from Agri supply. I use needle valves to step down the flow to my pilot burners instead of messing around with low-pressure regulators for my pilots.
I am considering adding the 12 VDC timer from Auber that works with the alarm from the controllers to automatically time mashes from your temperature set points, but I'm not convinced that the extra expense for a rectifier and the additional complexity is worthwhile when I already have this level of automation. It's really not that much more work to just set another timer and watch it. It really doesn't cut into your drinking time at all.
aleguy

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

aleguy wrote:Mylo, I must say your control panel looks incredibly over-complicated to me.

Excellent. Mission accomplished. I win.

Actually, Aleguy, my goal is not to automate everything, and I'm not saying that anyone should or should not. I have a functioning system right now that is all manual, and I make great beer. Version 1.0 of my design was exactly what you mentioned - two temp controllers, two temp sensors, one burner and two pumps. I would have been happy with that system. However - I am a tinkerer, and I like challenges. I have little left to build out in my brewery - and for me - the building is half the fun of this hobby. With this new design, I get to dump some extraneous hardware that not only would have made my panel bigger and bulkier, but also cut the cost by about a third. Is it complex? Sure. Does it require more time and effort? Yes. But in the end, I will have a very slick, custom and compact system for less money, that will have all of the functionality of the original design, plus a whole lot more. And you guys will hate me for it - because it will look amazing.

Carry on...

Mylo

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sun May 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Sorry Mylo, but I just can't imagine that what you're building will be either slicker nor cheaper than mine. Plus it's a lot more complicated. Which means more problems and more breakdowns. Simpler is usually better (Unless you're trying to build a Brutus 10. Don't!!! There are much better designs out there that cost a whole lot less.)
aleguy

Mon May 03, 2010 8:04 am

aleguy wrote:Sorry Mylo, but I just can't imagine that what you're building will be either slicker nor cheaper than mine. Plus it's a lot more complicated. Which means more problems and more breakdowns. Simpler is usually better (Unless you're trying to build a Brutus 10. Don't!!! There are much better designs out there that cost a whole lot less.)

Too late....! My Brutus Maximus has many improvements, again tailored to my exact specifications and requirements. As far as future slickness is concerned... just wait to hate...

Mylo

Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 am

Mine is based on BrewTroller 3.1 board. I picked up most of the parts from the BrewTroller store, the enclosure came from a surplus store.
pickles

Tue May 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I've always heard bigger is better so I went large when building mine....

I picked up most of my parts at a local electronics surplus shop.

Monster Mash

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures