Super strut framing

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

For those of you that have used Super Strut for your framing, how do you like it?

Does it rust? Do you have any issues with heat or strength?

I would like to build a two tier "sculpture" that could handle a 20g setup with 26g pots and I am not sure how strong the Super Struts are. I spent some time on Google with no luck.

Is there some other framing material that is better that doesnt need to be welded?
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Re: Super strut framing

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand subscribe topic.

I'm slowly building up my set up. Right now I'm working on finishing up the kegerator, but the brew stand is next. There's a chance I could end up just buying the Blinchman top tier, but it's not looking likely. I'm interested in the replies - I need to just start digging through the posts in this forum.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I have been using my stand made from this material for a couple years now, and it has worked well. The initial burn off of zinc is a bit of a problem if you are not in a well ventilated area, but other than that, all is good. The hardware has been know to loosen a little, due to the heating and cooling, but a quick tighten of the 1/2" cap screws, and you are "good to go" (every couple months).
One benefit of the hardware method to assemble, is that you can adjust the design as you go, tweaking the design after you get familiar with what you actually need.
The strut is easy to cut with a metal cutting blade in a chop saw.
Good luck,
-Greg
Last edited by Otterbrew on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Otterbrew

On Tap at Home: Hella Hoppy Double IPA, Barley/Wheat Wine
Otterbrew

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm

I built a single-tier stand a couple of years ago and it's been great. The zinc coating does burn off but I haven't had any problem with rusting. If a piece did rust, it would be pretty simple to swap it out as the stuff only costs about $1/ft at Home Depot. The main cost of the structure is in the hardware fittings. I like the flexibility and the ability to easily bolt on whatever I need (CF chiller, pump, etc).
beerocracy

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:56 pm

What is the cost of the fittings for that stuff? It's all available at Home Depot?
Travisty

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Most of the brackets are 2-3 dollars each and you need to buy all the bolts as well. I got all of my parts at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1
beerocracy

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

beerocracy wrote:Most of the brackets are 2-3 dollars each and you need to buy all the bolts as well. I got all of my parts at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1

What bolts did you use? All I see are channel springs. Is there a Super Strut catalog with some Lego type references how to use the pieces :)
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm

I just bought a standard 100-count box of 1/2" hex bolts to use with the channel spring nuts. I think they sell bags of bolts with the superstrut hardware but a bulk box of bolts in the hardware section was cheaper.
beerocracy

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures