Soft or rigid liquid lines?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 am

I'm designing a 2 tier brew stand after Push's and trying to come up with a liquid flow design. I came across an Australian homebrewer that used rigid liquid lines, but used compression fittings at the junctions for dis-assembly. It looked awesome as compared to the high temp flexible plastic, but I wonder how much a pain in the ass it is to clean following a brew session? Unfortunately I can't find the link to his build.
My thought is to possibly run hot PBW through the lines after a session to clean them out. Any feedback is appreciated :jnj
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Husker267

Re: Soft or rigid liquid lines?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

I use silicone tubing and I pump hot PBW through them for cleaning. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a rigid hose. Make sure you don't use water over 180F and be sure to rinse really really well.
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for the feedback Grist. Just to clarify, the lines this gentleman ran appeared to be stainless. So boiling wort shouldn't be an issue. I was looking along the same lines or possibly copper.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Husker267

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 am

Copper is easier to work with. Major breweries have many feet of stainless tubing and use similar CIP techniques. Do what Grist said, PBW loop at <180F and clean water rinse, with acid final rinse on the at risk areas for cold side wort (i.e. post CFC or chiller). I use teflon core stainless outer braid for most of mine on the BK and then high temp silicone on the MLT/HLT. I do use some rigid stainless tubing, but flare for JIC, use a mandrel bender and use the appropriate JIC/pipe based stainless fittings.

Copper is a great DIY option for rigid tubing, I just have a fetish for all things stainless :)
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Kbar wrote:acid final rinse on the at risk areas for cold side wort

What do you use for an acid rinse?
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Sorry, should have been more detailed. This is a clip from 5-Star. I use Star-San (across the board final rinse and sanitizer) and Saniclean for CIP. Will try to paste in their description. I run a Saniclean loop at 160F prior to boiling the wort as I need to clean the CFC and tubing for transfer to the conical. Star San for all else, including a large tub for soaking all parts as I go through the brew day, and conical parts as well. 5-Star is a life saver for us homebrewers.

Star San
is an Acid Anionic Sanitizer, accepted by the U.S.D.A as a General Sanitizer in all Departments.
Star San is a synergistic blend providing a unique killing system, unaffected by organic soils and
delivering a self-foaming formulation for optimum coverage and penetration. Formulated to impart no
off-odors or flavors, Star San is a No-Rinse sanitizer when used at 200 ppm. Unlike other sanitizers,
Star San is non-staining on your equipment and hands, non-corrosive on stainless, and stable over a
wide temperature range.
Saniclean
is an Acid Anionic Final Rinse. Saniclean is formulated to be low-foaming at temperatures over 70" f
and is also unaffected by organic soils. Formulated to impart no off-odors or flavors, Saniclean is a
No-Rinse product when used as directed. Saniclean is also non-staining on your equipment and hands,
non-corrosive on stainless, and stable over a wide temperature range. When allowed to air-dry,
Saniclean leaves your brewing equipment in an acid condition, inhibiting contamination between uses.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm

+1 on the CIP idea. I saw a really nice setup with dual pumps, SS lines, compression fittings, etc. The guy doesn't take things apart, just uses hot PBW recirculated, followed by a water rinse, and then an acid recirc.
On Tap: Dark Mild (x2), Honey Hefe
Fermenting: A.Bastard Clone, Wee Heavy, S/70, Eng. Barleywine
On Deck: ?
11amas

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:06 pm

I have recently upgraded to all Stainless lines and loving it. As for cleaning everything gets flushed with water after a brew then hot PBW let it sit for a little then flushed again then just run starsan through the lines and it's all done.

rustyc30

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures