3 tier gravity system

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Here is my system. I brew 10 gallon batches on it outside and move it with a dolly. It's a bit maxed out but totally manageable. The boild kettle starts out full to an inch from the top. I figure if you are going to boil over it doesn't matter how much head space you have anyway. Normally I don't boil over but last sunday I did it 3 times. It was cold and I couldn't see through the steam to what was happening inside...

Pete

On Tap
American Amber Ale #4 (Cascade FWH, Centennial, Cascade)
Crooked_S

Re: 3 tier gravity system

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Crooked_S wrote: I figure if you are going to boil over it doesn't matter how much head space you have anyway.

Fermcap-S is your friend. Prevents boil over and is pretty cheap. Doesn;t make it impossible to boil over, but give you a chance to managem the flame and ease back the boil. I've also heard of mounting a fan to blow on the top of the wort to break up bubbles as they form during the boil.

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Nice system. I also have a three tier gravity system and like the simplicity (and less shit to clean) aspect of gravity. The only reason I want a pump is so I can use a hop-back.

here's my system I built this summer. A lot like yours except I went electric.

PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 pm

beltbuckle,

Do you gravity feed through that CFC? How well does it work?
Hopscott

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Hope it's not too tall or you might get a snooty comment. They look awesome, was going to do 3 but went with two. Get a pump later, just do some lifting for now.
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

beltbuckle wrote:Nice system. I also have a three tier gravity system and like the simplicity (and less shit to clean) aspect of gravity. The only reason I want a pump is so I can use a hop-back.

I'd like to add a pump and a false bottom to the MLT so I can recirc the mash, or even put my immersion chiller into the HLT and recirc the mash through the chiller (heat exchanger) to raise the temps. I would be able to direct fire the MLT to heat the strike water and then could either direct fire and recirc the mash or recirc through the HLT to maintain the mash temp. I'd also like those nifty plastic quick disconnects on all my ball valves... Adds up to a few dineros.

Pete
On Tap
Crooked_S

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

derfburg wrote:Hope it's not too tall or you might get a snooty comment. They look awesome, was going to do 3 but went with two. Get a pump later, just do some lifting for now.

I'm 5'6" and the thermometer on the HLT is at eye level... I like having 3 burners because I never move hot liquids. I'm always just pouring cold water into the HLT and MLT. I can just about reach the HLT but usually use a step ladder when adding water. I definitely need the ladder to see inside it. In hindsight a sight glass would've been nice on that one.

Pete
On Tap
Crooked_S

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Do you fire up the propane burners in the basement? I thought that was a big no no???
Bruck

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures