Why aren't more of us using this?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm happy with my setup, but if I was starting over on a budget, I'd be tempted. Add a pump and kettles, and you're batch sparging on a single tier system, and even HERMS brewing if you're clever. Another pump and you're brewing on a homemade 5 gallon B3-1100.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/tb650_triple_propane_burner.htm

:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Re: Why aren't more of us using this?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 am

I use this

"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 am

I'd be curious as to what size kettles that could realistically hold and then how much weight that could support.
Travisty

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 am

Travisty wrote: I'd be curious as to what size kettles that could realistically hold and then how much weight that could support.

I used to use a system like that. It held two 11 gallon ss pots and a 7 gallon aluminum pot filled with water/grain quite well. It took about as long to bring water to temp as most burners.

It doesn't take much to attach a 2X4 to the legs to mount your pumps.
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 pm

From the web site:
The Bayou Classic Triple Propane Burner will handle three large sized stock pots up to 60 quarts. This triple high pressure propane burner includes three BG12 cast propane fry burners. It also includes a 15 PSI regulator kit which reaches 120,000 BTUs. This triple propane burner has three 16 x 16 inch cooking surfaces.

That suggests that it can handle the weight. But three kegs will be tight as a standard half barrel is just over 16" in diameter.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:37 pm

foomench wrote: That suggests that it can handle the weight. But three kegs will be tight as a standard half barrel is just over 16" in diameter.

That's why my HLT was a 7 gallon pot. I couldn't fit three 11 gallon pots side by side.
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 pm

I would be concerned with the stability of it with a couple of large kettles on it.

:aaron
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa
ddgbrewing

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:05 pm

You could even use this as a two burner unit, and never using the middle, to give the kettles space. Then use a orange cooler mash tun placed on the ground. Gravity from HLT to the mash tun, pump to the boil kettle, and gravity back down into a carboy.
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures