Propane Piping

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:23 am

So Leaky Porch and I are building some brewing stands. Progress is coming along slowly but surely. We're taking our time teaching ourselves about welding and metal work along the way, we'll make a post soon about our new stands. We're getting to the point that we have to start thinking about propane plumbing. I've done some reading and looking but haven't found any good information about proper way to plumb the gas lines. Here are a few thoughts and ideas we've had:

1) Black Steel Pipe - the big box stores only seem to carry 1/2" pipe and that just seems like a bit of overkill to me. One of our concerns is having to have the big box store make all the pipe cuts and threading of the pipe, which leaves very little room for error.
2) Flexible or "rubber" line - this seems like an inexpensive way but may present some safety issues
3) Copper line - I've seen a lot of systems using this

I'm wondering if any of you might have some suggestions, recommendation, and good resources that we can look into further?

Thanks
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Robust Porter, Vienna Lager, German Pilsner
Conditioning: APA (Tasty's Recipe)
Fermenting: Alt, Scottish 70
On Deck: Bitter then a Wit
Jimbob

Re: Propane Piping

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:10 pm

don't know much about propane plumbing, but am acquiring parts for a brutus 10 and have found that the orange borg near me has a variety of lengths of black pipe already cut and threaded. If I remember right they had 1" increments to 6", 2 up to a foot, and 4 up to 2 feet, etc. Should be able to make up a lot of configurations out of what they had.
buffalobrewer

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Black pipe is for gas, and when you join the pipes use that liquid teflon paste meant for gas, because their are other types. 1/2" pipe, is not too much, and is what I used to pipe a brutus. I did a whole brutus without having to get pipe cut or threaded. Those stores sell all length and size's, but you dont have to run black pipe for all of it, you could run black pipe for some, and then branch off with some soft copper, and compression fittings. Getting pipe cut and threaded is totally reliable, and is how I piped some peoples gas lines in their houses before. You just need to get someone that knows how to work the machine, and not thread it too far.
If you want peace, be prepared for war!
usmcruz

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:14 pm

I used 1/2" black pipe on mine and yes it's over kill but it works. I have a treader so I did my own but as long as you measure correctly and draw out a detailed plan you should be fine.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm

BadRock wrote:I used 1/2" black pipe on mine and yes it's over kill but it works. I have a treader so I did my own but as long as you measure correctly and draw out a detailed plan you should be fine.

THis is what I did as well.
dunleav1

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:34 am

Used 1/2" black pipe on mine as well......no issues!!

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Im dont believe 1/2" is overkill, especially if you want to run 2 or 3 burners full boar at the same time. I would suggest running 1/2" all through your system to bring volume, and then bust it down to 3/8" copper tubing to give you your pressure. For example here is the brutus I did that way.
ImageImage
If you want peace, be prepared for war!
usmcruz

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 am

Hey Cruz -

What size is that fitting that you have going into the actual burner. Obviously a 90 degree 3/8" compression fitting, I'm looking to do the exact same thing and was wonder the diameter of that final MPT end. Thanks!
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures