Re: My setup before the big purchase...

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:27 pm

The other issue is that gravity systems often involve lifting, and lifting more than 10 gallons gets to be a chore.

The beauty of the B3 1000 is that you don't need to lift the kettles. You can let gravity do all the work!
On Tap: Telemark Stout
On Tap: Top of the World Cider
On Tap: Lower Corner IPA
On Tap: Bodacious Brown Ale
On Tap: Maple Double IPA
Fermenting: The Session Pale Ale

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:36 pm

What's the height from the ground to your kettle ball-valve? Is it high enough off the ground to poor directly into a fermentor? I've been using a Corny as a fermentor, and I need to lift my kettle onto a table so its higher than the approx. 25" corny height.

The height from the ground to the ball valve is 25".

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:55 am

Hoppy Brewah wrote:
The other issue is that gravity systems often involve lifting, and lifting more than 10 gallons gets to be a chore.

The beauty of the B3 1000 is that you don't need to lift the kettles. You can let gravity do all the work!

The liquid and grain have to get into the top tiers somehow. I understand getting liquid into the HLT can be aided by water pressure and long hoses.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 am

Hoppy Brewah wrote:
What's the height from the ground to your kettle ball-valve? Is it high enough off the ground to poor directly into a fermentor? I've been using a Corny as a fermentor, and I need to lift my kettle onto a table so its higher than the approx. 25" corny height.

The height from the ground to the ball valve is 25".

Hey HB, how easy would it be to add a pump, so you could recirculate while chilling ala Jamil?
Sent From My iPhone

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am

Yea - that's a great idea. You could also heat the mash through the wort chiller in the HLT. I just refinanced my house, so maybe I can afford a pump soon. I think it would be pretty easy to mount the pump to the frame below the brew kettle.

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Sun May 03, 2009 2:20 pm

I've seen a lot of systems in this area. Everyone seems to have abandoned gravity flow systems for one reason or another. I think it's mostly because everyone needed a pump anyway for recirculating the mash. The local systems seem to have evolved into three-burner/dual pump flat stands running either RIMS or HERMS.
The advantages of the flat stands is that it doesn't matter whether you're using a commercial kettle or a converted keg from the scrapyard. It's even possible to do double mashes and pump them in to a 25-gallon kettle for group brews.
aleguy

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures