Yet another burner discussion

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:12 pm

I know it has been discussed quite a bit in the past - but I can't seem to get the right opinions/data when it comes to propane burners. Old sculpture is gone, time to get busy on the new one. I'm doing the intermittent pilot thingy (I think Doc has it on his - but B3 discontinued that option) - which requires .5 psig. So I know I have to get the LP regulator at least for that. I think my options at that point are limited to the 92K low pressure jet burner from B3. It looks like Lonnie has the smaller 9 jet ones - but I can't seem to find them for propane. Anybody know how long would it take 10 gallons to go from 70 - 160?

Now, for the BK, I could use either. I hear the low pressure jets put out some serious heat - but they are not very adjustable. I wouldn't have any need to "simmer" anything - but I would like to be able to dial in the right amount of VI-GER-OUSE-NESS. Is there enough adjustment potential for the boil?

Finally, if I use the low pressure regulator right off of the tank - will I get enough flow through it to support both burners at once? I guess the other option is to just put the reg on the HLT burner, and run the rest off of regular high pressure propane - with a banjo burner on the boil.

Thanks,

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Re: Yet another burner discussion

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm looking to do the same. From what I can figure, your best bet is to have two burner types, a low pressure jet type and a high pressure turkey fryer type. You can control the heat on the turkey type for your boil kettle much better than the jet. But the Jet burner can be used for instant on and off. This setup requires two regulators, the high pressure goes first, followed by the low pressure after you have your boil kettle burner Tee'd off. Size the pipe big enough, and you should be able to run both at the same time. No expert here, but if you use 1/2" throughout, you should be good.

I had one of the small jet burners and it couldn't keep up for 10 gallons. I think the 92k jet burner would bring it to a good boil, but if anyone has experience, I'd like to here it too.

My issue is that using the intermittent burner, you needs a pilot light. The jet burners sold by B3 don't have a pilots. What do you do? Anybody added pilot light to their system?
The UnaHopper
When brewing gets tough, the tough brew strong.

On tap: IPA, Trippel, Belgian Blonde, N. English Brown
Fermenting: Dubel
Next Up: IPA, APA, Big Chocolate Wood
UnaHopper

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 am

Well, the intermittent kit doesn't come with a pilot, so you have to buy one anyway. It looks like they left a nice mounting hole, exactly for that purpose.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Anybody have a link to a pilot light? I don't think I have ever seen one.
The UnaHopper
When brewing gets tough, the tough brew strong.

On tap: IPA, Trippel, Belgian Blonde, N. English Brown
Fermenting: Dubel
Next Up: IPA, APA, Big Chocolate Wood
UnaHopper

Return to Brewing Sculptures