My new folding Sculpture

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got back from the welding shop after kicking the tires on my new sculpture/brew stand. I'd posted my drawing in another thread, but rather than jack that thread further, I figured I'd start my own.

When stowed, the sculpture is 20" x 20" x46". I used 3/8" thick angle iron steel (probably overkill). I think the pieces are 1.5" x 1.5" in width.

When in use, the table and legs fold out (independently to support the cooler/MLT). A pair of cotter pins will hold the table in place when stowed and alternatively, will hold the legs in place when in use.

It is gravity fed all the way to the boil kettle. The March pump will be bolt-mounted to a plate on the bottom rail to use with a whirlpool chiller and, if I'm not on the top level of my deck, to pump from the boil kettle to the fermentor. The welder is still putting the finishing touches on it, i.e., plate for pump, table top, and table legs. He was pretty excited when he found out what it was for and said with a smile, "This is my first brewery."

This guy had me over there looking at it wihin two days of when I dropped the banjo burners off and will have it ready tomorrow by noon. Can't beat that turn around. I'll be painting it with some high temp engine paint this weekend (except for the burners and cooktops).

Here's the drawing. Ignore the 10" clearance dimensions. That should be whatever clearance the 4" casters (two of them swivel with brakes; two are fixed) will allow. I have a 10 Gallon Megapot for a boil kettle, which will be a tight squeeze to fit into the 17" interior space, but should fit even if I have to tip it to get it in there.

Here it is stowed (minus the legs). Sorry for the blurry picture.

Here's it is folded out (minus table top and legs).

I kind of like the fact that he left the legs on the top burner. I figure I can hang things on it for storage when it's not in use.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Re: My new folding Sculpture

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Sweet. I'm designing my brew sculpture now and this gives me food for thought. How is it working for you? Luckily, I have a friend who welds and is a fan of my homebrew, so I'm going to barter for the work.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
- Albert Einstein
gruntingfrog

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks! He just finished it today and it's now at a propane shop getting plumbed. I'll hopefully have it home tomorrow for some painting and, soon, some water pipe plumbing to the HLT. I'm hopeful that this will work better than the patio furniture I've been stacking to achieve this result for the last year or so since I switched to AG.

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 am

Just got a picture from the gas guy. Should be ready to take home by 12:30 pm!

So I've got a question about plumbing water line for the HLT. I can put the pipe fittings together and so forth, but what's the best way to secure it to the steel frame?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:01 am

DCBC wrote:So I've got a question about plumbing water line for the HLT. I can put the pipe fittings together and so forth, but what's the best way to secure it to the steel frame?

You will need some sort of strap. They can be the premade ones - like for copper pipes, or you can use the perferated roll (like you used to hold up the back of your tape deck in your early 80's, rusty honda). Drill a hole though the steel and anchor with a nut and bolt.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks, Mylo. Sounds like something I can handle.

I've got the sculpture home and took a shot or three. The table top is angled slightly toward the kettle for better draining. More pictures later when it's painted.

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Sweet! I love the compact footprint!
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm

The compact footprint was the deal maker with the lady of the house. Hence, no catwalk ... yet. :mrgreen:

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures