Pilot light or ignitor

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 am

I want to automate my propane burner with an ASCO valve / love controller, but I don't have a pilot light. Can I simply construct one with some small-diameter tubing, or is it more complicated than that? Alternatively, is there a source for electronic ignitors that don't look like they belong in a gas furnace?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
"Why don't you tie a kerosene-soaked rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up and eat your candy ass..." - Dale Earnhardt, 1997
Freshness

Re: Pilot light or ignitor

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm no expert, but you better have a pilot light. A lot of the wok burners have pilot light on them. If your trying to use a turkey fryer style burner, think twice about it.
The UnaHopper
When brewing gets tough, the tough brew strong.

On tap: IPA, Trippel, Belgian Blonde, N. English Brown
Fermenting: Dubel
Next Up: IPA, APA, Big Chocolate Wood
UnaHopper

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Check out MNBugeaters setup, he has some nice electronic ignitors going on there , I thinks he even has a video to show how smoothly they operate.
Pretty sure he is at the GABF today thru the weekend , so be patient or search here or the HBT board.
mrbowenz

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:56 pm

My pilot lights are just 3/8 copper tubing w/ a needle valve.
Nothing on the ends.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:25 pm

triple-oh_six wrote:My pilot lights are just 3/8 copper tubing w/ a needle valve.
Nothing on the ends.

Aha! That is exactly what I was going to try! Thanks! I'll report back on how it worked in a couple weeks or so.

-Ray
"Why don't you tie a kerosene-soaked rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up and eat your candy ass..." - Dale Earnhardt, 1997
Freshness

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Freshness wrote:
triple-oh_six wrote:My pilot lights are just 3/8 copper tubing w/ a needle valve.
Nothing on the ends.

Aha! That is exactly what I was going to try! Thanks! I'll report back on how it worked in a couple weeks or so.

-Ray

so did this work? or are you still in a coma from the explosion?
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 pm

tavish2 wrote:
Freshness wrote:
Nothing on the ends.

-Ray

so did this work? or are you still in a coma from the explosion?

Hahaha - I haven't gotten to it yet. It took longer than expected to gather the materials, then I got distracted by vacation and other stuff. I'm hoping to work on it this weekend and during the Thanksgiving holiday.

-Ray
Freshness

Return to Brewing Sculptures