Re: paint for a sculpture?

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Use stainless steel where heat is an issue. Use regular carbon steel everywhere else.
Former member of OmaHops, HAZE, GCBA, Palm Beach Draughtsmen. Current member of CCAR in N. GA
rlsmith621

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am

Bugeater wrote:I remember seanhagerty talking about his choice of paint for his sculpture. He realized too late that white was probably not the best choice of color. :P

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Thanks for your kind thoughts Bug
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:36 am

just saw that this thread was ressurected... we ended up using bluing agent and polyurethane. well, the frame looks fine away from the burners, but around the flame spread it's getting rusty. oh well, probbaly grind it down and put some primer and black hi emp spraypaint on. that's what i did on the last frame, and while the paint would burn off slowly, the primer didn't. it might not look perfect, but it keeps rust away.
slanted & enchanted

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 am

I put angle iron to support the vessels but as far out as I could from the burner. I have an aluminum top (got a giant sheet for free), so I may try using header paint this summer. My sliding and abuse is on the aluminum, which I will not paint. I just hope the angle iron is far enough from the burners to last a while.

Gotta wait for warm weather to paint, though. No heated space to do it, so at mercy of seasons.
nathan

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:18 am

Just one more reason to go all-electric. No burners. :D You could paint it lime green if you want. :unicornrainbow:
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
RIS
Hefe
Pumpkin Ale
English Brown
American Blonde
O'fest
APA
Alt
Schwarzbier
Dry Stout

FERMENTING:
Nugget Nectar Clone
baltobrewer

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Has anyone here had theirs coated with a high temp powder coat? It says it's rated for 1000 degrees. That's probably enough if you keep the flame away from the frame. I'm wondering about the keggle chine, though. It gets pretty hot because it doesn't have 212 degree wort on the other side to keep it cool. The bottoms of my keggles all show some heat discoloration. I have no idea how hot the chine gets - but I imagine its close to, if not above 1000 degrees.

Maybe Rock Candy can shed provide a snippet of metalurgy widom? At what temp does stainless start to show discoloration?

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I was going to have my 1550 powder coated but never got around to doing it. I am way too busy with work and family.

One would think that powder coating should with stand the temps of the heat from the burners. Powder coating is used in many high temp applications. Perhaps, someone with a better knowledge of powder coating temps will chime in.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 pm

I had my SS custom pipes ceramic-high temp coated. I can tell you it isn't happy with oil stains and it scratches rather easily. No way it could take homebrew usage. Not powdercoating, but similar.
Henway

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures