Water volume for mineral additions

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:42 am

I just finished listening to the Waterganza shows (all 4 of them), and there is just one point which I am still confused about. Jamil and John talk about having separate mineral additions for the mash and for the sparge, but which volume of water do you target overall, pre- or post-boil? If it's pre-boil, then wouldn't you have an excess of minerals since part of the water boils off? I do 7 gallon boils in my system and I end up with about 6 gallons post-boil, and of that about 5.25-5.5 go into the fermenter. So should calculate the total minerals amount for 7 gallons or 6 gallons?
whiterussian

Re: Water volume for mineral additions

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

That's a good question; though by John's own admission there is an awful lot of arm waving with mineral additions. Such so, I'd feel confident that the difference between 6 and 7 gallons (<15%) wouldn't warrant extra concern in most cases (ever, in mine).

Pretty sure I read the answer to this somewhere, but didn't care enough to note. I hope your question gets answered; but if not, I'd relax, not worry and have a homebrew!
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 am

Actually, the answer was provided at the very end of Water show #4. Basically, you should target pre-boil volume and not worry about minerals concentrating during boil-off, because back in the day the brewers just used the water they had and so their boiling concentrated the minerals too.
whiterussian

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I had this question a while back as well. I emailed Jamil about it and he told me that kettle additions (or sparge additions) should be calculated on post boil volume. I don't remember this question being addressed in the Waterganza, but it has been some time since I have listened to it. I understand the part of about traditional water profiles being concentrated, but this is the answer I got from him via email a few months after the shows.

In my setup, I add minerals to the mash, assume that they are equally distributed by the end of it and that a % of the minerals will be absorbed along with whatever % of water is absorbed by the grain (so the mineral ppm stays the same in the first runnings even with the smaller volume versus strike water going in). I take the volume of my first runnings and subract that from my post boil volume and use that amount to calculate my kettle mineral additions.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Return to Brew Strong