Re: Hop twine

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:01 pm

You don't need anything fancy like specialized hop twine, just any old rope will do.
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 pm

BadRock wrote:This is what I use. Works great.

+1..I use the same stuff..no problems in the past 4 years. Just cut it down after harvest, toss it in the compost pile and restring the next spring. Total cost..maybe 4 bucks and a six pack worth of labor
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 am

I use two kinds of twine, which I think makes things a lot easier.

I tried using regular thin jute twine, which is nice because you can just cut it down at the end of the season and don't need to unwrap the bines from the twine. It's also nice and rough, so the bines just grab right onto it.

Problem is, like Crackin, the twine would rot and break over the course of the season. But this only ever happened right at the base where it would come in contact with the ground, leaf litter, etc.

So now I run a loop of the heavy-duty Freshops rope over each hill. Then I run the jute twine up through that, so it pulls the heavy rope up into a two-dimensional pyramid, and that stays there season after season (it really is indestructible). The jute doesn't touch the ground, so it doesn't rot, and it makes it easy to run multiple lines up from one hill.

---
The Cellar and the Pantry
http://www.cellarandpantry.com/
Home brewing, home canning, wine, mead, cider, cheese, pickle making and edible gardening information at The Cellar and the Pantry.
chapka

Previous

Return to Homegrown