Planting my first round of hops in a month

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

I am using a T basically as the trellis. with 4 sets of nylon strings coming down from it roughly 2 ft apart on the top and 3 to 4 ft on the bottom. What are all the points I need to hit to atleast get this thing going. I dont have a book, to read so figured some of you guys could help me out, from start to finish. I have the basic Ideea I think. after bines get a few inches hight you select about 3 and start to train them, and cut back the rest, and keep doing so as they grow. What other kind of tips are out there, I would appreciate it
Primary 1 - the german monkey, aventinus dopplebock clone
Primary 2 - nothing
secondary 1 - Tricentennial IPA
Secondary 2 - all alone
bottled - hullabaloo ocktoberfest, java the hut cold pressed robust porter, danger will robinson oak aged brown ale.
deanocamino

Re: Planting my first round of hops in a month

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Take a look at this article from BYO that describes growing hops in containers (i.e. large planters). You should be able to pull enough basic information about their growing and handling.

What varieties are you growing?

-Okt
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

"A good puzzle would be to cross Dublin without passing a pub."
-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Return to Homegrown