Re: I have buds!

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Sunday night I ordered some more rizhomes to expand my hop garden. They arrived today along with about 3" of freezing rain and snow! :evil:

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:56 pm

I put Cascade and Centennial rhizomes in half wine barrel planters 10 days ago. The buds are coming up here on the central coast of CA. Awesome.

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:43 am

I believe hops tend to be pretty hearty, and a little snow will not bother them.
On Deck:
Cream Ale
Fermenting:
Dusseldorf Altbier
On Tap:
Brown Porter

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. What horribly boring lives they must lead." Micky Rourke, Barfly
Crackin

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 am

I just got to prepare for the growning season.

The trellis

Centennial 1

Centennial 2

Cascade 1

Cascade 2

Magnum

Tettnang

They are all 2nd year, with very little hops last year.
JensGam

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:51 pm

YEA! I have buds! I have three vines planted all first year. the columbus and cascades are sprouting, the chinook is still holdin on :drink
And im in the great pacific northwest
:bnarmy:
ResQ

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Two of mine have already reached 5 feet. I've been doing a lot of trimming already. But it has only just begun. Soon enough, scratched arms & legs.
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 pm

5 feet! crap! so, what should I do with these buds coming up? string train the first few when they reach the right height? I have heard rumors you want to trim the first few back, and also heard you leave them be. Weather is great here. do you fertalize at all?

ResQ

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 pm

ResQ wrote:5 feet! crap! so, what should I do with these buds coming up? string train the first few when they reach the right height? I have heard rumors you want to trim the first few back, and also heard you leave them be. Weather is great here. do you fertalize at all?

You can trim or not. For me I kind of have to since the area I have for hops is way too small for how many varieties I have. Trimming them helps me keep them apart and leaves me some room to walk. Once they grow a bit more, i start trimming the leaves for the first foot or so to help air out the soil and prevent mold. It's also easier to see if any new shoots are springing up where I don't want them. The only fertilizer I use was the spent grains from the brews over the winter and the used coffee grinds for the last couple weeks. I read that the grinds have nitrogen but also decrease the soil pH (though I've never bothered to test the soil in the first place)
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown