Re: 2009 HOPS!

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Look at you guys, not supporting the sponsors of the BN! Come one - NB and MoreBeer pay lots of money to get you guys to turn to them when you need supplies, and you call up a non-homebrew guy to get rhizomes? Dude!

:crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch: :crazybitch:
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm

I would agree, always support the sponsors, however there may be circumstances that require you looking beyond the community for the products you desire. I would encourage other vendors to do their part and support the BN.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am

Getting ready to add some rhizomes. Then I need to rework my hopyard. Last year I put in Mt. Hood, Centennial and Goldings. I used nylon rope, but I think it was just too thick. This year I'm going to use 400lb. test braided twine, run it up to the top of the post through eye hooks and continue the lines down the pole to a tie-off at the base. That way I can lower the bines, pick off the top, and then tie them back up again.

Noticed some growth last week here are the pics.

I'm totally open to suggestions on varieties or design improvements. Bring it on Army!

:jnj
Corporal, BN Army, Southeastern PA Division
Vice President--Stoney Creek Homebrewers
TheTodd

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 am

A bud from one of my Mt. Hood rhizomes poked through the ground yesterday! :drink Already better than last year when my rhizomes didn't sprout at all and proceeded to self compost. Anyway, I push a little mulch back over the bud since the night time temperatures are still dropping below freezing.

Once I get a bit more growth and get my hop trellis up I'll post some pictures.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:22 am

Whew... Finally got my hops in the ground. Two each of Zues, Cascade, Mt Hood, Goldings, Centennial, Newport and Chinook. I'm still waiting for my Crystal and Willamette rhizomes. I'm trading some glass work for those rhizomes. Hopefully I can get those next week.

I'll get some pictures up soon.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 am

I potted two Cascades, two Centennials, two Northern Brewers and two Goldings yesterday. They'll have to sit in the pots for a couple weeks until it stops snowing around here. That will give me time to finish my trellis.
Prim: Broken Neck Wheat
Sec: Flander's Red, Old Ale, Oktoberfest, High Toast ESB
Bottled: Bunga Toggles, Saison Du Mont, SS Minnow Mild
Kegged: Scotch Ale, Incarcerator, Postin Bail Amber Ale
6thstreetbrewer

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 am

I can see them poking their little heads out of the ground. I planted four plants about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Two of them are looking for sunshine. I'm so trickled I could Pee my plants :D One of them is a Galena and the other is a nugget. Planted two of each. Still very cold off and on here. Should be warming up to stay about freezing this week. But this is Kansas. :? Sorry not good with pictures. Maybe my niece will show now to put pictures on here. :)

SgtMaj of Marines (retired) :jnj
Mickael

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm

My Cascades that I planted about 2-3 weeks ago are both popping up and growing strong, one has about 4 vines while the other just has one big one... Sometimes I wish I had 4 vines but I'm happy with my big single one, but I'll bet JP would like to have 4 little vines any day
http://gnartoons.com/ just south of Giants Park in San Francisco
Gnome Brewer

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown