Whirlpool Rye

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Has anyone ever tried adding crushed or flaked rye as a whirlpool addition similar to hops :?:
My thought is it may add some aroma or flavor to the beer that normally gets boiled off in the kettle :?:
Of beer and women I prefer not too bitter.
Keg #1; RyeLight Pale
Keg #2; Czech Casher Pils
RipCity

Re: Whirlpool Rye

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Malted rye and flaked rye need to be mashed. If you add them to the whirlpool, they will contribute starches but no sugars to the wort. The finished product will be unstable in the bottle -- prone to off flavors and contamination.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Good point on the starches. I wonder if you steeped the rye separately and added at flameout if you would get any benefit?
RipCity

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:08 am

If by 'steeped' you mean mashed, then you would avoid the starch problem. If you actually just steeped it like a crystal malt then you would end up in the same place as before with a starchy wort.

I don't know what the precursor content of malted rye is either, so even if you mash it you might get some unwanted flavors from it. One of the points of the boil is to drive off some stuff that isn't desirable in the wort (like SMM/DMS), so by adding some preconverted rye wort you might introduce a bunch of stuff that never gets driven off. Then again, maybe rye doesn't have much of that so you might be fine.

You could also try steeping some cararye and adding that in right near the end. That gets around the mashing issue because it is preconverted. The cararye also (in my experience) has a lot of rye character bang for the buck.;..
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:06 pm

If I were looking for more rye character, I'd just up the percentage by 3-5% per brew until I found my happy place. No need to mess with alternative techniques that are, more likely than not, just going to end up in several major issues.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:35 pm

+1 on what Ozwald said.

Rye malt is loaded with diastatic power -- comparable to wheat and 6 row. Flaked rye is unmalted and rolled (think oatmeal).
You can "steep" it separately but you need to do so at mash temp (148-155 is a safe range) and in a reasonable pH range (5.2+- about .2) so that the enzymes will activate and do their work without being denatured.

[edit for clarity - you can mash the rye malt - it has the enzymes to self convert. you must mash flaked rye in the presence of another malt which has enough diastatic enzymes to convert itself and the flaked rye]
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 am

Good stuff! I will definitely keep all this in mind as I experiment with rye. Definitely want to try out that cararye now.
RipCity

Return to All Grain Brewing