Re: Tasty's Lager Fermentation Schedule

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am

EllisTX wrote:I can't speak for cad, but the lager I did hasn't really improved much since when it was first kegged. The great benefit of this method is that the beer is ready when you pull it out of primary. Not need to hang out before serving. Taking into account that you will use finings or filter since yeast in suspension will make a considerable difference.

Nice. I started filtering all my pale ales but haven't done a lager since I got the filtering setup.
Sergeant, East Cost
neckbeardbeer

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:50 am

I'm fermenting an Oktoberfest right now and have a couple questions:

I pitched cold and let rise to 51F. I'm holding there right now and fermentation has just started to take off. I'll check gravities as I go and make the temp changes as outlined by tasty.

my question is are you just letting it free rise the 3F every time or are you heating? I have the ability to do both but I'm thinking a 3F boost with heat might be too aggressive. I started lower than 55F, should I be trying to finish as high as tasty or is the deg F in total rise all that matters?

also, if I don't want to filter at the end I'm going to have to lager to get yeast to settle out correct?

tks,

tg
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 pm

bufordsbest wrote:I'm fermenting an Oktoberfest right now and have a couple questions:

I pitched cold and let rise to 51F. I'm holding there right now and fermentation has just started to take off. I'll check gravities as I go and make the temp changes as outlined by tasty.

my question is are you just letting it free rise the 3F every time or are you heating? I have the ability to do both but I'm thinking a 3F boost with heat might be too aggressive. I started lower than 55F, should I be trying to finish as high as tasty or is the deg F in total rise all that matters?

also, if I don't want to filter at the end I'm going to have to lager to get yeast to settle out correct?

tks,

tg

I apply heat (heating pad on a 12 gal conical fermentor) to get the temperature rise and I don't think it's rough on the beer. In fact, the more rapid rise could further increase yeast activity. If your ambient is high enough, you could also let it free rise. Since you started lower then I don't see a problem with ending correspondingly lower.
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:36 am

Brewed my Oktoberfest last Monday. Went from 1.040 (Sunday) to 1.115 (Wednesday). There goes my lager schedule :( Guess I'll let it sit at 66F for another week or two to clean up now...
imahokie

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Do you recall the name of the podcast episode/show. I would like to go back and listen from the archives. Thanks.

spangltk wrote:Is this documented anywhere? I just listened to a recent podcast where Tasty described the temp schedule for a quick lager. Since I was walking I couldn't doc it myself. I plan on attempting a lager in the near future and would like to experiment with it.
Traz1986

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:44 am

Traz1986 wrote:Do you recall the name of the podcast episode/show. I would like to go back and listen from the archives. Thanks.

spangltk wrote:Is this documented anywhere? I just listened to a recent podcast where Tasty described the temp schedule for a quick lager. Since I was walking I couldn't doc it myself. I plan on attempting a lager in the near future and would like to experiment with it.

Not sure but that is his topic at NHC this year if you aren't in a huge rush. Might have some adjustments to his process that he mentioned a while ago.
Sergeant, East Cost
neckbeardbeer

Previous

Return to Fermentation