Re: 15 gallon speidel fermenter temp controll

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am

What I have found and "studied" by listening to and reading form the experts in our hobby, like JZ, is that fermentation temperature control is one of the most important aspects of brewing, to be "successful".

From what I have found, if you are not measuring the true temperature of the wort/beer, say mid fermentor, temp sender bathed in the wort/beer, you are not fermenting at the correct or desired temperatures for the style of beer you are trying to produce.

Regardless of the heat transfer rate of the varying metals/plastics/materials of the fermentor, you still have the large influence of ambient temps on an external based temp sender. Yes, stainless conducts heat better than plastic, but I am a firm believer in temp pickup being in the wort, which is what I have seen and assume most breweries do with their glycol/alt fermentation cooling methods and feedback.

my $0.02

Thanks.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Interesting take on what JZ's said... since he's said multiple times and places that putting the probe on the outside and keeping it well insulated will give you a reading that's pretty much exact to what you'd get if reading in the wort (provided the wort is moving around still).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:34 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Interesting take on what JZ's said... since he's said multiple times and places that putting the probe on the outside and keeping it well insulated will give you a reading that's pretty much exact to what you'd get if reading in the wort (provided the wort is moving around still).

Quote from JZ was referring to fermentation methods and techniques. Had not heard him talk about probe placement. "Pretty much exact". Nope..........
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Kbar wrote:Had not heard him talk about probe placement. "Pretty much exact". Nope..........

Sigh... I'll dig up a timestamp and show for you...
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm

7-13-09 Brew Strong. Start listening at 53:04-1:00:09.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 am

I found this post on aussiehomebrewer.com.auon temperature probe placement quite enlightening.

Basically a guy used a data logger to measure the fermentation temp to test the effect of placing the probe in different places.
He found that having the probe in direct contact with the beer caused the greatest swing in fermentation temperature. This was because the temp controller waited until the temp had risen .5C before turning on the fridge. The fridge would turn off when the wort reached the set temp, but the cold air around the fermenter kept cooling it further.

Having the probe away from the fermenter led to a more stable temperature, but ended up cycling the fridge more frequently. What it didn't do is give an accurate measurement of the beer temp - but this can be accounted for by using a separate temperature gauge to monitor the temp separately and adjust the temp controller accordingly.

I couldn't be bothered doing that at this stage, so just stick the probe to the side of the fermentor and figure it's getting an average temp between the beer and the surrounding air.

This debate is one that tends to run around in circles, with all sides adamant theirs is the only correct opinion.

What I think gets lost in it all is the difference between accurate measurement of the beer, and stable temperature control.
Kodos

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 am

According to the Morebeer website the probes are water resistant but not water proof. If you wanted your probe to last your looking at putting it in a thermowell.
The thermowell is one more source of contamination and one more expense.
So you might as well tape it to the side and insulate it from outside temp swings. I set my temp controller at 67F with a +-1 degree swing. I think for practical pourposes this is fine.
I would be interested in seeing a comparison of actual fermentation temps using both methods. I'm just too lazy/cheap to do it myself. The results are in the homebrew. If you think your fermentation is too hot then turn the controller down during peak activity.
RDWHAHB :aaron
BTW I pre-ordered a 15 gallon Spiedel tank from the fine BN sponsor Morebeer. Looking forward to using it! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:07 am

captain carrot wrote:BTW I pre-ordered a 15 gallon Spiedel tank from the fine BN sponsor Morebeer.

I can see that this is an old thread, but I am just wondering how you like the fermenter as I am thinking about buying one. Does it work as well as the site claims? It looks like a great thing to have! :jnj
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation