Re: My First Cider?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Hey Timmy- It did not take me long to find you! nice jacket. Cannot wait to have a sampling of some high-octane cider....
Bardo
STL Bardo

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Can I just dump the yeast, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient into the cider and let it go or should I heat some cider and try to dissolve it first?
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:24 pm

I just dumped it in and my cider is as clear as can be. It's a bit sour, but it's clear
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Thnx KO--I'll keep this alive and post my results. I am getting ready to split 5 gal of cider in 2 small carboys and going to add a pinnch of yeast energizer and a some pectic enzyme (pectase I think) to each) WLP 775 in one and a Redstar dry (recmmended by LHBS) to the other. The base cider it pasteurized at 150 F for 15 sec the head cider-maker told me. I'll post OG and results soon.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Split batch; 1.042 OG; pasteurized; WLP775 in one and a Redstar in the other; 1/4 tsp yeast energizer in each along with 3 tsp pectic enzyme; did not rehydrate dry yeast; freezer is set to hold 64 F; pitched around 55 F.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:59 am

Score! 5 gallons of unpasteurized, fresh pressed cider coming my way Mon/Tue. Still open to any tips. Planning 2 more 2.5 gallon batches. LHBS has WLP775 and a Hefeweizen yeast on hold for me.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:45 pm

I ran across a quick question tonight. I just finished treating my fresh, unpasteurized cider with sodium metabisulfite per Andrew Lea's tables and wondered how to store it. Can I just put it in my fermentation cooler at my planned temp (55F) until tomorrow night when I will pitch yeast and yeast nutrient? I assume just a piece of foil over the top or do I need a lock on it now.

Thanks again.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:01 am

TimmyR wrote:I ran across a quick question tonight. I just finished treating my fresh, unpasteurized cider with sodium metabisulfite per Andrew Lea's tables and wondered how to store it. Can I just put it in my fermentation cooler at my planned temp (55F) until tomorrow night when I will pitch yeast and yeast nutrient? I assume just a piece of foil over the top or do I need a lock on it now.

Thanks again.

That will work.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider