Braggots vs beer

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:13 pm

OK folks,

Can a braggot be entered into a beer contest as its beer style? ie an American Amber style Braggot (50% malt and 50% honey for fermentables) entered into the American Amber ale style.

Thoughts?
yabodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:24 pm

I think you can enter any fermented beverage in any category... the question should be, will it score well in that category.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Re: Braggots vs beer

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:28 am

yabodie wrote:OK folks,

Can a braggot be entered into a beer contest as its beer style? ie an American Amber style Braggot (50% malt and 50% honey for fermentables) entered into the American Amber ale style.

Thoughts?

Entering a braggot according to it's base beer style won't be very successful as the honey flavor and other characteristics will throw it out of style. Instead you need to taste it and make a judgement. It can be entered either as a braggot (category 26B) or as a specialty beer (category 23A) where you specify that it is a honey beer. At 50% honey, I would lean towards entering it as a braggot unless the honey flavor is very light and allows the beer flavor to be the predominate flavor.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Mead & Cider