Carlifying Cider

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:23 am

So I just kegged my first batch of cider this week. It was very dry and acidic I think the attenuation was quite high so I add a bit of fresh cider to balance it out. (Don't ask gravities I forgot to take readings)

That all said I added gelatin to improve clarity when I moved to secondary without any impact. Not that I am worried about it, a little cloudy never hurt no one :wink: but is there something better I could have used to improve clarity, just wondering.
:bnarmy:
Brewing, Teaching, Consulting, and mostly just cleaning...

Brewer in NC at a Pub to be named later...
Geistbier

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:39 pm

Generally I add a small dose of grape tannin, and then oak my cider very lightly in secondary. I use light toast oak so there is a bit of vanilla and caramel that creep in for some structure.

If I'm missing apple character I'll rack onto some AJC to bring back more of the apple-y flavor. I do this in cysers as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Wherever you go ... there you are!
Oskaar

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 pm

I did what the 2 rivers guys suggested on the show. A little pectic enzyeme in the must, crash cooled, then fitler. Then I added back some some apple juice. Its pretty clear but not crystal like the 2 rivers commercial product. Also it has some of that "champagne" chracter from the dryness of the ferment.

Brad
"I could have mixed it with chocolate and vagina and it still wouldn't have helped." -- Justin Crossley

"It helps the yeast focus" -- JP (refering to the riddling process)
wezil

Return to Mead & Cider