15%
No Pants
46%

Total votes : 41

Cider Question

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:46 am

Ok so it's not all grain... sue me.
I'm gonna make me a cider MmmmHmmm
I was thinking that mebe I would try a Hef yeast in there... Is that absolutely fucked up or will I be cool?
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 am

I wouldn't think the clove and estery flavors and aromas would translate well to mead. Then again, I don't like mead that much to begin with. I do know that my buddy brewed a mead with Cal Ale and I liked that mead more than a mead made with non-ale yeast. I would be interested to read about the outcome...

And thank you for the "No Pants" option on the survey... now that it is a valid BN survey, I will cast my vote!
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 am

Would that make bananna cider?
shamusonme

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:58 am

Thirsty.. its a CIDER not a MEAD...
I was thinking it might be a good holiday cider what with the clove flavors.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:02 pm

Whoops. Sorry, just got finished listening to the Mead Show and my mind was still there. Im a big dumb idiot. :oops:

In that case, I think the Cider would be very interesting with a heff yeast. Brew on, brotha!
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 am

BUB
Whatever you do I highly recommend putting a gallon of it in the freezer after 12 hours use a strainer to scoop out the ice. Put it back for another 8 hours and the scoop out the ice again. Makes about a quart.

Brad
"I could have mixed it with chocolate and vagina and it still wouldn't have helped." -- Justin Crossley

"It helps the yeast focus" -- JP (refering to the riddling process)
wezil

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:56 am

Wezil,

I've made applejack (legal, it's fractional distilling) with both unspiced and spiced cider.

No spices, straight US56 or Nottingham yeast seems to taste best. My method is to put a gallon cider jug about 3/4 full of hard cider in the freezer for 24 hours, then pour off the liquid. Like you said, I get about 25% yield, but that's when I've added sugar to the cider to boost the final abv to 8% or so.

Good stuff, both applejack and cider.

Bub, get some good, no preservatives cider. If you want more than 4-5% abv, add about 1/2-1# per gallon of honey, sugar or brown sugar. It usually tastes best after aging at least 6 months in the bottle/keg.

Try the hefe yeast, would probably be tasty. I can tell you that spices and sweetening it back will cover up the young flavors.

Chrispy
What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?--Irv Kupcinet
chrispy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:02 am

chrispy wrote:...
I've made applejack (legal, it's fractional distilling) with both unspiced and spiced cider. ...

I thought all home distilling was illegal. Just because your not using a still to achieve the end product I don't see how that would make a difference legally. Also won't that really concentrate any fusel alcohol that is in there?

If you have sources that say I'm wrong I would love to see them. I have just never heard anyone say that any form of home distilling was legal.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Next

Return to Mead & Cider