Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:36 am

I'd 86 the buckweat in this recipe in favor of the sage or the acacia. But the rest of the combination sounds like it will work just fine to me. With the D47 make sure to start your gravity at 1.14-1.15 and with the DV10 it should be about the same toward the higher end.

DV10 doesn't need as much nutrient and is a faster fermenter, but with the Apple Juice and fruit the D47 is pretty rabid so I'd expect your fermentations to be done in a week or so.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Wherever you go ... there you are!
Oskaar

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Oskaar,

quick question:

If my OG is 1.105, is my 1/3 sugar break 1.070, or is it lower than that because the mead will finish out below 1.000? Basically, are the sugar breaks calculated based upon simply the difference between the OG of water and the mead's OG, or does the predicted FG play a role?
Three Frogs Brewing - Irish Frog Section
4º - 5g Wedding Mead
Bottle Cond - River Rat Porter, Madtown Cyser
Kegged: 12g Irish Draght Ale, Hazed and Infused clone, and Chocolate Stout

MUST BREW SOON!
DrunkenIrish

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:52 am

OK, if you're making this recipe and your original gravity is 1.105 you're in for a world of hurt.

If you're talking about a different batch then the 1/3 sugar break is when you see a 33% drop in total sugar. So if you start your must at 33 degrees brix, you divide 33 by 3 and get 11. So for the first 1/3 sugar break you subtract 11 from 33 and you get 22. 22 would be the 1/3 sugar break. Use the mead calculator on Gotmead.com to convert brix to SG. I work in brix so I can do these things in my head. Decimals make my eyes go cross!

Cheers,

Oskaar
Oskaar

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:52 am

OK, if you're making this recipe and your original gravity is 1.105 you're in for a world of hurt.

If you're talking about a different batch then the 1/3 sugar break is when you see a 33% drop in total sugar. So if you start your must at 33 degrees brix, you divide 33 by 3 and get 11. So for the first 1/3 sugar break you subtract 11 from 33 and you get 22. 22 would be the 1/3 sugar break. Use the mead calculator on Gotmead.com to convert brix to SG. I work in brix so I can do these things in my head. Decimals make my eyes go cross!

Final gravity has nothing to do with the 1/3 sugar break.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Oskaar

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider