I need a how to...

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I want to try my hands at a cyser or a melomel but I'm not really sure how this works. Can anybody give me a link to a good technique for making mead? I have seen people using red star ... and that sounds crazy to me. HELP ME OUT!
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Re: I need a how to...

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:19 am

Several pounds of honey, several gallons of cider, bring it up to about 170 F for 15 minutes, cool, throw in some Cote des Blancs yeast or Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead, set it aside for a couple of months, and voila, cyser.

Internet resources may be lacking but there are a lot of good books available on how to make good ciders and meads. Look up Ben Watson's "Cider Hard and Sweet" and Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker" for starters.

You can get fancy with pectic enzyme and sulfite/Campden and sorbate, but I've had better success just doing the heat pasteurization thing at 170 F.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 am

for my first mead I used the mead making guide off of more beer's website. it was written by Shea Comfort who is a badass.

http://morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=600

Cheers! :pop
Last edited by EL TIZZO on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:03 am

I've always found good information on gotmead.com. Look on youtube or google search Curt Stock...I've watch a couple videos with him making melomels.

Also, search the AHA website and their recipe database.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Got mead.com
barls

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 am

You know the BN has podcasts on how to make fermented beverages? Listen to the session with Moonlight Mead/Michael Fairbrother. Nice details in that one.
Effingbeer

Return to Mead & Cider