Re: This is odd

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:16 pm

No, I didn't add nutrients. I will likely add it to the mix tomorrow. Any recommendation for type/amount for 6 gallons of hard cider? I'm surprised that the fermentation is where it is at, it looks as though its chugging along pretty vigorously. The lock is bubbling every 3/4 of a second and lots of carbonations is climbing along the carboy...but what do I know
Yakman619

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:55 pm

If it's going steady, you're probably fine.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

I added energizer, now I can't get the stopper back on!

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Help!!!! lol....I added 2 3/4 tsp of yeast energizer (calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon) and the cider took off like rocket fuel. There is so much pressure that I can't get the stopper back on. I have put a coffee filter over the opening of the carboy and put a couple of rubber bands over it until I can figure out the best course of action. Timely advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll put on the :asshat: and hope for some sound advice.
Yakman619

Re: I added energizer, now I can't get the stopper back on!

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Yakman619 wrote:There is so much pressure that I can't get the stopper back on.

This doesn't make sense to me... wouldn't the pressure just flow out the airlock?
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: I added energizer, now I can't get the stopper back on!

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:30 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Yakman619 wrote:There is so much pressure that I can't get the stopper back on.

This doesn't make sense to me... wouldn't the pressure just flow out the airlock?

The pressure flows through, but the lock is shooting back up. Not like a cork firing off, but it will slide out of the opening like there's no friction/expansion keeping it in place. I put the lock in a starsans solution while I poured in the energizer, I figured it being wet had something to do with it....Drying the stopper and inside neck of the carboy didn't seem to help. Perhaps the pressure isn't the issue, but seems to be the only variable I haven't encountered until now, so I'm associating the issue with the added pressure. This is my first brew, so there is a good chance that there is something simple that I'm not taking into account.
Yakman619

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

The wetness factor between the stopper and the inside can make it slip up again. I have a handle on my carboys, so I will tie off to it and wrap it up and over the stopper to hold it in place.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:55 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:The wetness factor between the stopper and the inside can make it slip up again. I have a handle on my carboys, so I will tie off to it and wrap it up and over the stopper to hold it in place.

I'm starting to think soaking it in starsans is the issue. I wrapped the stopper in a couple coffee filters and saran wrap to let it dry out (can't leave it in the open, have issues with flies), and am hoping my next attempt will be successful. Thanks for the posts!
Yakman619

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 pm

You can just wrap some aluminum foil over the top of the carboy. Once active fermentation stops then you can put the airlock on if you like.
troybinso

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider