Re: Reaching high carbonation levels with force carb. method

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 am

The beer line lenght works so that at a determined pressure from the regulator, the liquid flows from it with minimal speed. That can be adjusted by venting the keg and dispensing with lower pressure, which I did. The problem seems to be that I can´t reach these levels of dissolved CO2 only by force carb´ing it. As soon as the mead leaves the keg, CO2 comes out of solution, causing foaming and not being possible to bottle it.

Bottle temperature helps, but I bottle my beers all the time with them at room temp without a problem. I don´t consider it to be vital for bottling without foaming.

So I could either use a conter-pressure bottle filler, which I don´t have, or give up trying to get sparkling mead by force carb´ing. That´s exactly what I am going to do. I am really interested in learning the methode champegnoise, but it seems hard and I need to find liquid nitro for that....so for now I am going to be looking to prime and not worry about the sediment on the bottom..
Women and drink.

Too much of either can drive you to the other.-- Michael Still
philbrasil

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 am

I believe there was something talked about on the session about using acetone and dry ice to chill the necks to remove the yeast plug? It would have been a while back.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:44 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I believe there was something talked about on the session about using acetone and dry ice to chill the necks to remove the yeast plug? It would have been a while back.

I was just listening to that one. The 06 Mead show towards the end. Not a lot of info about it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Ozwald wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:I believe there was something talked about on the session about using acetone and dry ice to chill the necks to remove the yeast plug? It would have been a while back.

I was just listening to that one. The 06 Mead show towards the end. Not a lot of info about it.

I think there is a session with drew beechum (if my shitty memory is correct) that describes the process in more detail. He talks about making a champagne beer.
adamK

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 pm

I guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought!

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... ew-Beechum
adamK

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider