Orange Molemel

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:58 am

I've never brewed this before, or indeed even drunk any molemel or mead before, but I thought it would be good fun.

Recipe as follows:

1 Imperial Gallon
1kg of Rowse Australian honey
Juice of 2 oranges!
2 cloves
a pinch of cinnamon
1/2 cup of raisins
1 packet of youngs wine yeast.

O.G 1.082

The procedure was fairly basic - boil the ingredients up, cool it down & pitch the yeast.

Not sure how its going to turn out, but its bubbling away nicely now & smells great.
:pop

Edit: oooops, missed out the orange juice!
Last edited by Sparge Pervert on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparge Pervert

Re: Orange Molemel

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Uhhhh, where is the part that makes it "orange?"

I have 5 gallons of simply orange juice + honey sitting in a keg that I must try again soon. It's got a few months on it, but it was made from partly native Florida oranges (quite sour, usually only used for root stock) and is a bit tart yet.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 pm

DannyW wrote:Uhhhh, where is the part that makes it "orange?"

I have 5 gallons of simply orange juice + honey sitting in a keg that I must try again soon. It's got a few months on it, but it was made from partly native Florida oranges (quite sour, usually only used for root stock) and is a bit tart yet.

Hahaha! good question. I missed out that bit!
updated now!
Sparge Pervert

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm

I took best of show in the mead competition at the Nebraska State Fair this year with a similar recipe. I actually stuck quartered oranges and limes into the fermenter (rinds and all). Also added some cloves, cinnamon sticks, and fresh grated nutmeg. Tasty stuff!

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 pm

And, Wayne, your culinary background gave you the skills to balance this all by taste. Well done.

Alan
Alan Marks
alan_marks

Return to Mead & Cider