Re: Cider 2010

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I don't follow?

The cider I have access to is fresh pressed and unpasteurized. If I ferment some, it will stay that way and all I'll add is some pectic enzyme
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm

San_Diego_Matt wrote:I don't follow?

The cider I have access to is fresh pressed and unpasteurized. If I ferment some, it will stay that way and all I'll add is some pectic enzyme
Doh, Reading skills damaged by three pints of Oatmeal Stout. Sorry!
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:07 am

$7.75 a gallon especially for a homebrew club that is going to hopefully buy a lot, is steep! Fresh pressed cider here in NY is $4.75-5.25.

I would have them at the very least pass the cider through a UV light. That why you can control your fermentation a little better with your yeast of choice.
ipaisay2.0

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:12 pm

From last year's batch 1, I have NO problem with low pH and acidic...I just got back from UK and really enjoyed draft Aspall's Cider...it was nice and dry, but not as tart as my first attempt. More to follow on my 3-batch series.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:10 am

Update:
Batch #1: 1.050 --> 1.030 and racked to secondary
Batch #2: 1.058 (calculated): 1 lb brown sugar and about 6 gallons of cider on dregs of Batch #1; planning to rack to secondary on top of 3.1 lbs of Blackberry Puree and estimate that will bring OG up to 1.075.

Does 1.075 sound right? I used 45.0 oe for OG in lbs per gallon in BeerTools...that seems a little high.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:47 am

Looks like from looking at wine recipes, maybe 30 points, per pound per gallon is more accurate for Oregon Fruit Puree...
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:34 am

Going today to get Pears to do our own Peary. Old orchard, 80 yo trees. Anyone have a good or decent Peary recipe?
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:38 am

derfburg wrote:Going today to get Pears to do our own Peary. Old orchard, 80 yo trees. Anyone have a good or decent Peary recipe?

This is just off the top of my head but... pear juice and yeast? Seriously though, cider pears are the only thing harder to find than cider apples. Common perry just uses usual eating pears, which may or may not be the best for fermentation. I would try to find the bitterest, most tannic pears you can find, and ferment those with a wine or cider yeast. Adjust with acid, and wine tannin if necessary. When you're done you can sorbate and back sweeten, but then you can only carb it if you're force-carbing. Alternatively, you could use an artificial sweetner (sacharin, sucrulose) to sweeten it up a bit and then use sugar to carbonate it. It works in beers, I don't know why it wouldn't work in cider.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider