Headspace for Cider Fermentation

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:22 am

Although I've been brewing beer for some time now, I've decided to try my hand at making cider for the first time. I picked up some fresh, unpasteurized juice this morning and just added some campden tablets to sulfite the juice. I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow night, but I have a question about headspace in the fermenter. The guy at the orchard that I got the juice from makes cider as well and told me I didn't need much headspace in the fermenter because, unlike beer, there's very little protein content to cause intense foaming during fermentation. He basically filled my 6.5 gallon carboy up all the way. Am I okay just to pitch the yeast and throw an airlock on? Or should I siphon a little of the juice out to give me some more headspace. Here's a picture of my carboy with the juice in it:
skee1080

Re: Headspace for Cider Fermentation

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:09 am

There was almost no Krausen on the Cider I made....Until I added the cherries to it...so if you are just doing a basic cider you will be just fine..
Stinkfist

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:39 pm

I’ve made a couple ciders and never needed much head space. My understanding is that the foam comes from proteins and cider has very little.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.
brushvalleybrewer

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 pm

I recently fermented a cider with S-04 and Lalvan 71b. The s-04 had a half inch of krausen, and 171b had no krausen. Leave all the cider in.

Asa note from my first cider making: After a tasting panel with my wife the recommendation of 'back sweeten to taste' was 1:1 ratio of hard cider to fresh cider, so our finished product will be about 3% abv. next time I'm going to bump up the ABV with sugar.

All depends on what your target cider is.

The Fool
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm on my third batch of cider. All three I fermented in 5 gallon carboys with only a inch or so of headspace, because someone told me not to worry about it, like your experience. Two I used white wine yeast and had no problems. When I used Cal Ale yeast, I had blowoff city. Slurry everywhere. YMMV.
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 pm

i've heard reports of lalvin ec-1118 as a very low krausen on ciders..
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 am

My experience has been that ale yeasts will generate more krausen than wine yeasts. If you use a wine yeast, skee, I'd say you're safe based on the photo. But if you try ale yeast (like US-05 or S-04, both of which are great for cider), then you might want to add a blowoff tube.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Return to Mead & Cider