Cider Bad????

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I brewed up a Cider about 6 weeks ago. It has now completely fermented out and I cant seem to get SG on it. It smells fine, sweet with a honey like odor. It tastes very tart with almost a sour bite. I know during fermentation it got a little hot around 83. Is it possible that it went Bad or maybe I am missing something very obvious that is silly?

edit: If it helps I used a dry lavlin champagne yeast

-Jon
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin
HopHound914

Re: Cider Bad????

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 am

Ciders need to age for at least six month. Some people enjoy them when they are young and tart, other prefer to wait. give it some time and I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 am

I guess I jumped the gun a bit and got worked up for nothing. LOL. I compared it with my fathers Cider that he brewed a few weeks earlier then me. (Same Recipe) His was cloudy like mine is now and it has def cleared now. His has mellowed quite a bit as well. Mine will probably do the same as well just need to give it a few more weeks. Gonna bottle it once it has cleared.

6 months to condition seems a bit long but patience is a virtue.

-Jon
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin
HopHound914

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Very similar experience here on my 5 small batches with 2 different orchard pressings.

http://groups.google.com/group/cider-workshop/browse_thread/thread/d19ae8e175412f9c/d4991e27a8d9df26?hl=en#d4991e27a8d9df26
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 am

I have been pressing (organic) apples and making cider for about 8 years. This year I am starting with 40 litres (Canadian, eh?) An initial 6 month rest sounds good and cider just keeps getting better until you open that last precious bottle in the Spring. Last bottle on the first day of Spring, first bottle on Christmas Day. Hey, Jesus was a brew meister. My very best batches have been with a cool, slow fermentation period of at least two weeks. I found this out after one very cool Fall. I have tried using five types of apples in the fresh juice but that didn't seem to make as great a difference as the slow fermentation period. Just before bottling I add a little sucrose to carbonate for a nice fizz in the glass. Mmm, I'm getting thirsty already. I have been using plastic beer bottles but am switching to glass this year. I don't trust plastic and a buddy that makes beer thinks his beer takes better out of glass. It is an easy change and I don't see how I can go wrong with it.

Don't give up on your cider. It is a wonderful brew.
deerinthewoods

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 am

I've recently tasted mine from last Fall...all are tart and dry. I am planning on packaging into small kegs and carbonating. I am a bit concerned about natural carbonation because I've read cider yeast is prone to bottle bombs.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:07 am

Hmm, well, I guess if you like still cider then it isn't worth the trial. If you do like some fizz then a little sucrose mixed into the carboy a few hours before bottling to promote carbonation is not a bad thing. I put in a small hand full. Even if you put in too much and a few blow their tops you'll still be not far from St. Louis. Maybe I'm wrong but I think glass bottles are as strong as plastic and I don't have any worries for this year.
deerinthewoods

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Yeah, definitely need to let it age for at least six months. (My ciders have a F.G. of 1.000 regardless of the yeast used.) If bottled properly, cider will last indefinitely. My wife and I make our cider over the fall/winter and then serve it the next fall, when the nights start to get a little nip in the air. It's a great beverage. Be patient, dude.
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Next

Return to Mead & Cider