Re: Methods to kill yeast/stop fermentation

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Henning1966 wrote:What about using a yeast with less alcohol tolerance and letting the high alcohol stop the yeast.

Thats the plan going forward, but I have a current batch underway that, due to time constraints, I need to figure this out for now. We're getting married in May and the mead is for both the toast and for wedding gifts to our bridal party (not to mention for us to take with us on the honeymoon :D )

Any suggestions on a good yeast to use for that purpose?
Bert

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Henning1966 wrote:What about using a yeast with less alcohol tolerance and letting the high alcohol stop the yeast.

This is how I make all my meads. Plan ahead and know the limits of your yeast. My last sweet mead had an OG over 1.140. Once the yeast hits its alc tolerance, it stops and dies. Rack, chill, age and enjoy.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 am

Lars wrote:
This is how I make all my meads. Plan ahead and know the limits of your yeast. My last sweet mead had an OG over 1.140. Once the yeast hits its alc tolerance, it stops and dies. Rack, chill, age and enjoy.

Just curious, but what did your FG end up at? My OG was 1.096 and my Wyeast smack pack got it down to .997, about 13% ABV according to Promash. I assume the amount of cells pitched contributes as a main variable for the alcohol tolerance?
On Tap: NB Peace Coffee Stout Porter, Bug's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
Conditioning: Cherry Vanilla Bourbon Porter
Fermenting: Squirrel Witbier
On Deck: Hefeweizen
Sergeant: BNArmy Washington DC Paper Pusher Division
squirrelpirate

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:26 am

Lars wrote:

What was your final ABV?
Bert

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Finished around 1.025 ish. I really don't remember the exact number. Both my last batches were done using this method and both finished sweet, just like I wanted them to.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 am

I'm gonna try using the low alcohol tolerance yeast on the next batch. The yeast I was using before was up around 18%, so for the next batch I'm gonna try one around 15% instead.

do you have a preferred yeast you use Lars?
Bert

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:00 pm

I use dry wine yeasts for my meads. After all, mead IS honey wine. I've had good results with ICV-D47 (14%) and 71B-1122 (14%). Both are available from MoreBeer or more properly, MoreWine.
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider