ABV without OG

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:21 pm

So I was a dumbass and did not get teh OG reading before fermentation. how can i get the ABV if at all possible now? I have a refractometer as well as a hydromter. I know I am a dumbass. i am a noob so cut me some slack. :jnj :jnj :jnj
mrburnette

Re: ABV without OG

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:33 am

Get a copy of Promash. You can input a post fermentation hydrometer reading and refractometer reading into Promash and it will calculate your ABV, residual sugar, and some other stuff. This is only one of at least 101 reasons why you should own promash.

The other brewing software available may do this too, I don't know. Promash seems to do it all so I've never tried any other.
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 am

Beersmith will do it as well.
DucBrewer

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Just list your recipe here and someone will punch it into a program in a minute to estimate what it was.
My estimates with Promash are usually within a few points.
Brewing Advice from the Peanut Gallery
bj_braggot

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:39 pm

I used 5 gallons of apple Juice, 1 cup corn sugar and 1 can frozen apple juice concentrate with a packet of champagne yeast :jnj
mrburnette

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:28 am

:asshat:
Last edited by Sent From My iPhone on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent From My iPhone

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:54 am

With Promash you don't need your OG. You only need your FG as read by hydrometer and refractometer. Promash will calculate alcohol by weight and volume, Original Gravity in SG and Plato, resudual extract in SG and Plato, and attenuation as a percentage-both real and apparent attenuation.

Check out what the Promash help file has to say abut the accuracy of this method:
After fermentation, a brewer can calculate the amount of Alcohol present in the beer, the residual extract and also backtrack to the Original Gravity. These calculations can be more accurate than simple determination based on Original and Final gravities. However, the brewer will need both a refractometer reading and an hydrometer reading of the sample beer for this calculation. Note that this calculator can also be useful in backtracking your Original Gravity if for some reason it is unknown to you.

If you have Promash, go to Calculators, select % Alcohol, then click on the picture of the refractometer at the bottom. Input your hydrometer and refractometer readings you have taken post fermentation and Promash will give you all the results I mentioned above.

A note on taking measurements with refractometers: Even when using a refractometer with automatic temperature control, you should still take your measurement as close to 80F as possible (or 60F if that is what your refractometer is calibrated to). There are two reasons for this. One, the closer your sample is to the calibrated temperature, the more accurate the results. Two, if your sample is very hot, evaporation can skew your results significantly since you are only using a drop of beer. Be absolutely sure your refractometer and sampling tool (eyedropper, pipette, spoon, whatever) are completely dry before pulling your sample and dropping it on the refractometer plate. Again, you are using a single drop and the tiniest amount of dilution will skew your results. Also, I always degas my sample before measuring although thinking about it now, I'm not certain this is really needed. I will look into that. De Clerck addresses use of refractometers in A Textbook of Brewing, Vol 2.
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:24 pm

mrburnette wrote:I used 5 gallons of apple Juice, 1 cup corn sugar and 1 can frozen apple juice concentrate with a packet of champagne yeast :jnj

Apple juice is usually around 1.050
Frozen concentrate around 1/2 pound of sugar a can.
1 cup of corn sugar around 1/2 pound.

So 5 gallons of 1.050 OG plus a pound of sugar = around 1.060 OG
It will finish dry below 1.000 gravity with an ABV around 8%

bj

As a rule of thumb... In 5 gallons of water...every pound of sugar gives you a little less than 10 points of gravity.
1 pound 1.009
5 pounds = 1.046
Brewing Advice from the Peanut Gallery
bj_braggot

Return to Mead & Cider